Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,267   Posts: 1,660,631   Online: 783
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Brian C. Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    495
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    They were hired to successfully oversee and manage the company through its transition into the digital marketplace.
    Agreeing to what sort of a digital marketplace is another question entirely. HP got bled from executives trying to "evolve" the company from a manufacturer into a brand. For a time, the only division generating a profit, propping up the rest of the company, was their mainframe divison. Not their printers, which were losing money hand-over-fist. And at the time the CEO was trying to kill off the mainframes.

    Polaroid has now become a brand, and there are now many "Polaroid" products entering the market with the Polaroid logo on them. This may well be Kodak's fate. I hope not, but I just don't know. Their losses are shrinking, but they aren't anywhere near generating a profit.

    I have been reading in the financial news that next year promises a slowdown. Not good for anybody, including Kodak.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    These Kodak executives have been fleecing the company for years, it wouldn't be allowed in most countries.

    Ian
    I don't think that's true. It happens all the time, everywhere, including where I live.

  3. #23
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    24,468
    Images
    65
    Maybe we should give them their bonuses in stock. Overvalue the stock and assume that under their leadership it will rise in value to meet what it was valued at!

    PE

  4. #24
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Maybe we should give them their bonuses in stock. Overvalue the stock and assume that under their leadership it will rise in value to meet what it was valued at!

    PE
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Enroute
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Very very very angry.
    A natural, healthy reaction. Now get that camera you want, shoot some film and join the leagues that have replaced that anger with empowerment, to make a statement both in artistic convention and in numerical stats that you are as committed to using film as the people who are not the executives who make it.

    The narrative of photos made with passion are going to be of far more value than those words born of speculation, in my opinion...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    the film photographer may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving.
    What about the people who won't get to stage 5, committing analog photography suicide? Can we expect threads along the lines of "right guys, I've decided to give all my gear to somebody who cares..."

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Polaroid has now become a brand, and there are now many "Polaroid" products entering the market with the Polaroid logo on them. This may well be Kodak's fate. I hope not, but I just don't know. Their losses are shrinking, but they aren't anywhere near generating a profit.

    I have been reading in the financial news that next year promises a slowdown. Not good for anybody, including Kodak.
    Shopped in the UK "Poundland" store yesterday (everything for £1, about equal to $1.50). Stocked up on Kodak Colour Neg, £1 per roll, Kodak batteries 10 for £1 (Made in China), and Polaroid Inkjet paper (various sizes, all Made in China....and fine for everyday use).
    And just backed up some work stuff on Kodak DVD's....Made in China.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    A natural, healthy reaction. Now get that camera you want, shoot some film and join the leagues that have replaced that anger with empowerment, to make a statement both in artistic convention and in numerical stats that you are as committed to using film as the people who are not the executives who make it.

    The narrative of photos made with passion are going to be of far more value than those words born of speculation, in my opinion...
    Most serious artists of all kinds, amateur or professional, musicians, painters, photographers, writers, are passionate people....which is why they get angry when the "executives" mess up by letting money drive everything. And the executives don't make the film, it's the researchers, workers and support staff.....who are also suffering.

  9. #29
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    24,468
    Images
    65
    I have had so many Kodak batteries leak in equipment that I no longer buy them at any price.

    PE

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    3,500
    Now worries here. Artists will always find a way. If all else fails, someone can start a company grinding and selling red oxide, so folks can make handprints on cave walls. It's what they taught
    in art school continuously for over thirty thousand years, and it still works today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin