Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,990   Online: 828

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like someone said, there's not much to lose (maybe 30 seconds of your life) but a whole lot to gain. I signed the petition and will post it in a few other places to generate more signatures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rb1234 View Post
    Yes, ideally if anyone cares about keeping this film alive they should sign and then go and buy some film, shoot it and enjoy it...

Although FujiFilm are starting with some films in some formats it may not be long before other formats and emulsions start dissapearing soon...

As Klainemeister pointed out this film was actually brought back once before by the photographic community so it can't hurt to try, a lot to gain, and not much to lose we would say...

It's not crystal-ball gazing, but a realistic development down the line. This is what I am worried about. But until such a thing actually happens, go and buy the stuff, and shoot it, process it and admire it. Back when Velvia 50 was "brought back", there were many, many, many more analogue photographers there in the market to support it. The problem is the market is not so analogue now, but oh-so-digital (eeeeeeek!).

We've got petitions on the go here in Australia too, but FujiFilm Australia has said nothing about discontinuation of the particular films.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, obviously the best way to show Fuji you care is to continue to buy the film but I think it adds extra weight with a petition. There will always be nay-sayers/doom-mongers who believe these things never work... but they are probably the same folk who wonder why they never win the lottery even though they never bought a ticket :-)

The petition has reached it's initial target of 1,000 signatures and now has a new target of 1,500... currently they are at 1,162...

Cheers
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have signed the petition, but it makes little difference in the U.K. if you buy a ticket to The National Lottery or not the chances are about 21/2 million to 1 which is about the same as guessing the phone number of a stranger you meet in the street, and in fact statistically greater than you being murdered, which is why I don't buy them
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-05-2012 at 11:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have signed the petition, but it makes little difference in the U.K. if you buy a ticket to The National Lottery or not the chances are about 21/2 million to 1 which is about the same as guessing the phone number of a stranger you meet in the street, and in fact statistically greater than you being murdered
    Are you suggesting that by not signing this petition you may be a statistic?
    "Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
    Are you suggesting that by not signing this petition you may be a statistic?
    No, I'm not, and I'm not a statistic I'm a figment of my parents imagination .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I won't sign the petition because I don't want to provide my personal information to Change.org. I don't like several aspects of their privacy policy. But I will buy some more Velvia 50 in 4x5, and use it, then buy some more. I hope that'll help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is just another nail in the film coffin. It's an unbelievably bad idea.

1) Velvia 100 is still in production, and will remain so if we support it. Advocating retention of Velvia 50 splits the market.

2) Such a petition undermines the decisions of the managers at Fuji who selected which films to retain and which to drop.
    This is extremely bad for the future of film in general, as senior management may question the validity of the decisions.

Dumb.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Signed!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think most people only shoot Velvia 100 because they're scared of ISO 50. They can't rate their DSLRs slower than 100 you see.
    I genuinely believe that's the sole reason Velvia 50 won't be around much longer. It's only digi-film amateurs keeping it on the shelves after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin