Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,509   Online: 968

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The loss of Efke paper sucks big time, they were one of the few manufacturers that still produced graded matt paper. There are plenty of good glossy paper but only very few matt paper. A big thank you to ilford for the Art 300 series and Multigrade Matt, but I personally prefer the surface of Emaks and Varycon to the surface of Ilford Multigrade matt. Art 300 is unfortunately not suitable for all subjects. Emak and Varycon were also the best papers for lith printing(still in production) imho. Efke 50 will also be missed greatly,damn beautiful film.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I have called Fotokemika yesterday again - it looks like film is going down also

SUCKS big time.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To balance all the doom and gloom here is a message from ADOX that came on Facebook today. At least some positive news.
    ------------------------------------
    This week we have made first trail coatings with Polywarmtone emulsion on our small research coating machine. We had to rebuild her from coating film to paper. Since this was done at light we can´t comment on the photographic propertis yet. First results can probably be inspected in about 3 weeks when we have repeated the test under "real" conditions.
    Thing are moving!
    ----------------------------------

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are probably other places to get the paper and the film but looking at my 3 main sources, BHPhoto, Freestyle and MacoDirect, it would appear that the paper is certainly in short supply right now. On the other hand these on-line stores appear to have film on hand at this point. The bulk rolls of KB25 are out of stock in all three stores and the R25 is low at Freestyle. Beyond that stock seems good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I bring bad news, I am very sad: emaks double weight grade 2 is/was my favorite paper since I started developing prints by myself. Fotokemika was one of things that made me proud to be Croatian (more than sports achievement for sure).
    Workers at factory sad to me that nothing is 100% sure yet, but it looks bad. There will make official announcement in short future. Beside problems with old machines, they also mentioned problems with rented place (it looks like they are not owners of the land), and to move machines and put them together back again - they sad it is financially but also mechanically not possible.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reminds me of the Forte demise, Land Land above all. Great Paper killed by real estate development.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    AS far as the post about wanting to use a ND filter on a huge lens. Would sugest using the Movie Maker method. Big lens hood with a slot for a flat glass filter (and then another hood forward to keep the sun of the filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_box
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    AS far as the post about wanting to use a ND filter on a huge lens. Would sugest using the Movie Maker method. Big lens hood with a slot for a flat glass filter (and then another hood forward to keep the sun of the filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_box
    Thanks!
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

...There were 6 machines in 3 rooms with 4 operational at any one time. The other two were undergoing refit and cleaning. Of course, these were the most modern. There were also other coating machines. There were two separate buildings devoted to film.
    I know all of this has been talked about (and lamented) before but, Jeez Louise, what an operation that must have been! And I never got a tour, alas.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I KNEW something was bugging me about this discussion. It finally came to me what it was.

Here is the first question I asked about the need for such slow film, with some added emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Just curious, but why do you need such a slow film in sheets? The reason for tolerating a very slow film, for me, was to get very fine grain. I don't need that when a 16x20 is only a 4x enlargement. TMX has finer grain than Pan X did, not with the same look granted, but finer grain.
    To which I received this reply:

Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I am sorry if I was not plain enough in my answer. ISO 100 film is too fast. Specifically, lets consider this lens:

Attachment 55217

The 250mm f2.0 Zuiko. Maximum aperture is f2.0.
    Tell me with a straight face that this lens covers 4x5, or even quarter plate, and I'll grant you need ISO 25 film to shoot it wide open. Otherwise, the question stands.

Folks shooting 35mm and 120 will continue to have the excellent Ilford Pan F. Even on a 4x5, you can use it in a roll film back if you want, just hard to shoot wide angles that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    By using a wide open aperture, you keep depth of field shallow and allow the background to disappear into a blur. As I mentioned, this issue is aperture driven. Not everyone wants to have everything in the frame razor sharp. And no, these lenses were not just for low light. From The OM System Lens Handbook (1983) Page 150: ....
    Ah, this would be a handbook for some "OM System" for sheet film of which I was previously unaware? No? Then it's for 35mm and you can go on using Pan F+.

Now, to answer my own question, I have seen some very good work done on large format that required slow effective speeds, namely motion studies with very long exposure times to let some elements blur. Wynn Bullock has done some really impressive shots like this, as well as lesser known photographers. But it's usually pretty easy to use ND filters on large format.

I appreciate that people want slow films, and even more the losing of a favorite, but there are usually other ways to get the results we're after.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin