Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,211   Online: 880

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mirko - I am very sorry to hear. My thoughts to the affected employees.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Those of you who have contact, please pass along our feelings of sadness to the employees who are losing their jobs. This is a very sad moment for all of us and the loss of their wonderful products will certainly be felt by many of us. Our prayers will be for the employees and their families.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sad to hear this, with some luck the bosses at Efke might change their minds. I wish their employees the best of luck regardless of the companies decision. Danke Mirko für die Info.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch. Sounds worse than we expected. I can't believe the cost of the repair is less than $10k - maybe the machine is worth that, and cost that originally, but repair is specialized, parts would have to be fabricated, whatever. If it really were less than ten thousand we could just take up a collection. There are probably at least a thousand people who like their products enough to chip in ten bucks. I'd throw in $100 myself if for no other reason to continue to have the IR and the Silver Artist paper they were coating for Freestyle.

Thanks for the information Mirko. And to the point - charge what you have to. I'd much rather pay more for materials than not have them available at any price. I already use MCC 110. It's a great paper and NOT cheap. It costs more than Ilford MGFB, dramatically so if we compare the 25 sheet packs of MC110 from Freestyle (the only importer I am aware of) with 100 sheet boxes (in 8x10, same principle with different numbers in other sizes) of MGFB from other suppliers. 8x10 MCC 110 comes to $1.28 USD per sheet while MGFB is $0.94 (the former Freestyle 25 sheet packs, the latter B&H 100 sheet boxes) but - I use MCC 110 anyway. I don't use that much paper and my art is important to me. Within reason I will pay what the materials I prefer cost. Now if it were $5 a sheet, probably I would use Ilford or Oriental or something else. But if prices are even similar I will use the product I like best, not the least expensive one. I dare say most photographers doing traditional analog photography will do the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ouch. Sounds worse than we expected. I can't believe the cost of the repair is less than $10k - maybe the machine is worth that, and cost that originally, but repair is specialized, parts would have to be fabricated, whatever. If it really were less than ten thousand we could just take up a collection. There are probably at least a thousand people who like their products enough to chip in ten bucks. I'd throw in $100 myself if for no other reason to continue to have the IR and the Silver Artist paper they were coating for Freestyle.
    Times are hard for a lot of us, even my APUG subscriber status has expired and it will be a while before I get it back . However I WOULD manage to scrape up a ten spot for that idea
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would put a 100 up also. If it really is as simple as $10000 I am sure the community would kick in for this. I would shoot this over Ilford and Kodak any day. Freestyle says a shipment is due in September.. Will this be the final order filled or is it stock on hand??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I thought. It's that simple, just ask. It's really a matter of telling it as it is. Ten thousand people giving a dollar. Most would instantly give more. It's a business culture to write off the end user and sit in a closed room and plan on demise.

We need the product and they make it. To give a donation without expecting anything in return except the good continuation of the manufacture of a worldwide needed product isn't something that's impossible. It isn't charity, it's support.

The bottom line is a company is people and people have special skills and knowledge sets that's valuable to world as a whole.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hard to believe that fotokemika could not realize sufficient profit to pay for a $10k repair in a reasonable time. There must be more to it than that. If a $10K repair gets them running again, for how long will it last? How far away is the next $10k repair, and the one after that?

Yeah, I'd contribute too, if it could save Fotokemika.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I have just called them again and told them that they are people willing to contribute to help with repairs. But it is no help: decision from management is final - profit is so small that is does not pay off to do anything, and plus is that they are on rented place - one extra problem.

If workers are the owners - then maybe this could work, but I am afraid that management decision is final. Worker with who I spoke have said to me to thank you all for your thoughts and willingness to help - but is it over .

Sorry to bring bad news (again).

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    The problem is profitability. Anyones problem at current prices for silver halide products is profitability if you are a manufacturer.
    All the films and papers out there are sold at very low prices considering the effort it takes to make them and the costs involved on the raw material side.

Mirko
    Then I think the Price should go up.

I think Efke prices are too low for what the product is - might not be a popular thing to say, but if Ilford need to make more profit, prices go up.

Are they afraid customers will desert them if price goes up? In my mind it is better to take this risk than have customers desert them because they have no product to sell!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin