Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,725   Online: 1182

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would put a 100 up also. If it really is as simple as $10000 I am sure the community would kick in for this.
    It is not a matter of raising the money for the investment. It is a strategical dilemma of profitability. Even if we raised the money for the repair it still would make no sense for them to continue to produce silver products because you cannot generate a profit from selling them in todays market situation with todays level of competition.
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 08-22-2012 at 07:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look on the bright side.

The equipment for slitting and chopping film and paper may go up for sale.

An enterprising person could buy them and set up a small operation making custom film and paper from larger stock from another company. It could work.
    PE,
    we already have all of the equipment for confectioning at our plant. We can make any format (except 127) from master rolls already.
    But it is impossible to make the raw film anywhere in the necessary small amounts to provide the full range of efke again.
    Their old machine was capable of making 1000sqm of film without loosing to much emulsion and energy. Still every sqm they coated cost them more than others who make much larger volumes. This is easy to understand but the market forced them to charge not more than the big manufacturers charged for their mass products. We made an aproach and confectioned CHS 100 in Germany to eliminate some confectioning problems. I set the Price like I had to (plus one EUR) and immediately people jumped at me in the forums stating that this price (for a run of 1000 films made because the same people begged us to) would now be higher than FP4 and they asked if I was aware of this and how in the world this could be?
    This is what killed efke.
    Any aproach to bring back their products or something like their products must be on the basis of low volume, excellent quality, high price.
    The problem to solve is the cost dilution in coating small quantities or better keeping these costs down as you cannot dilute them well.
    I am very sure of one equation: If the price goes up, sales WILL decline.

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 08-22-2012 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mirko, thank you for your communication with us all and for your efforts with Fotokemika.

Is paper pricing just as inelastic as that for film?

I "sort of" recall, from Efke marketing, that the paper was coated in a slightly different way to more modern systems. Sorry for more questions, but are/were the Adox Variotone, Varioclassic and Nuance papers coated by Fotokemika, or on your line in Germany? Is it even possible for it to run on the machinery you have for the (gorgeous) MCC and MCP papers? Maybe a couple of runs per year? It is so 'obvious' that you will have already considered this I'm sure, sorry about that.

Most likely the emulsion, the line and the knowledge will all be gone in a few months though. Does that leave a hole in the market, yes of course - but the global production-volume is probably such that there is still an over supply of paper and pricing will stay 'tough' for all manufacturers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So we can't sheet panf ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    We can make any format (except 127) from master rolls already.
    Mirko
    Why not 127? Not even 30m rolls for respooling? Sure, I can always cut 120 films to feed my Primo and Yashica44, but that would be a PITA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by padraigm View Post
    So we can't sheet panf ?
    No, no, and no is the answer I always get. Maybe you can pick up the mantle on this one. Make sure to ask for 11x14.

Good luck! I mean it!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Basic Economics

This sounds like something out of my Econ 1 class at the University back in 1975:
    1. Efke's production capacity already exceeds the demand for their products.
    2. They are competing in a market with larger producers who have much lower production costs per unit produced.
    3. As a result, their profit margin is low.
    4. If they raise prices, demand will drop, and demand is already too low. Higher prices will kill them.
    5. Finally, they rent the production facility, so there is no incentive for long term investments.
    I can't say that I blame them from the point of view of economics….but I'll sure miss the product line. That reduced red sensitivity made for a unique look. Is that simply a function of the dyes used to make silver halides sensitive to longer wavelength light?

Shooter
    35mm
    So at the risk of asking the obvious, Efke 25,50, and IR820 are gone forever?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's still lots of film in their storage room...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I was hoping the EMAKS would live much longer. It was my baseline paper. And so it joins Forte PWT, Bergger and Oriental whose special atributes were toning/tint, surface and paper contrast.

I will think positive. Ilford Galerie is great in it's own rights. It produces lush deep blacks, a smooth tonal progression, a unique gray tone, and clean whites. Not all my negatives print well on it, but I can learn to calibrate the remaining films to Galerie and other available VC papers.

We all need to mentor someone to pick up anolog photography.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin