Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,416   Online: 974

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard;

It will most likely come down to making your own handcrafted films and papers. You would think that there would be some groundswell in reaction with people inquiring about methods and etc, but things are as usual on this front. Minimal interest. That is about 100 people out of the 50,000 APUG membership.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh no. I planned to switch to Emaks when my Forte stash was gone. I got pink, apricot, red and yellow when lith printing with that.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Richard;

It will most likely come down to making your own handcrafted films and papers. You would think that there would be some groundswell in reaction with people inquiring about methods and etc, but things are as usual on this front. Minimal interest. That is about 100 people out of the 50,000 APUG membership.

PE
    Oh, I'm definitely interested in making my own films and papers. It's just such a daunting task, it's hard to know where to get started. I read the threads about it, but they are filled with chemistry discussions that are over my head. Your book is on my list of near future acquisitions. I'm hoping there is enough practical info in it to help a non-chemist get started.

How did you come up with the 100 out of 50,000 number?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Easy Skiip.

This is the number of people who has said on APUG what you just did, and the current approximate number of APUG members.

Of course, many might not even speak up, but then that is part of the problem. Isn't it?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Oh no. I planned to switch to Emaks when my Forte stash was gone. I got pink, apricot, red and yellow when lith printing with that.

/matti
    Well how much Forte do you have left?
    With a little luck we are done until then ;-)

http://polywarmton.com/page5/page5.html

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mirko, is there any possibility that you will take over some of the machinery? I don't remember if it was you who once said that you wanted to move the production of the Adox films to Germany? You, of course, have more information about this than any of us, so I apologize beforehand if something impossible is suggested.

How about the equipment for cutting and spooling 127-film? It would be very sad if this film format totally disappears from the market.

I emailed Fotoimpex last week about the situation but I got no reply. But I'm glad that you're taking your time to discuss it here.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Richard;

PE
    I do believe that you are right PE. This is not going to get better for awhile, if at all. Film is rapidly becoming a boutique industry and even the Ilfords of the world will find it tough to keep going, and they probably have a better chance then most.

I am certainly interested in learning to coat my own emulsions. I have an older Cambo 8x10 as well as a couple 4x5 cameras I have held onto. I have bookmarked the light farm, have read a lot of Denise Ross's work, and have been following emulsion coating in a few forum posts here and on LargeFormatPhotography. But I suspect that I may have to put some money away for a workshop of some type real soon. It would certainly be nice to find something out West, closer to where I live, as travel funds are a bit tight and going East may not be easy to do.

I'll have to do some checking to see what is available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I was hoping the EMAKS would live much longer. It was my baseline paper. And so it joins Forte PWT, Bergger and Oriental whose special atributes were toning/tint, surface and paper contrast.

I will think positive. Ilford Galerie is great in it's own rights. It produces lush deep blacks, a smooth tonal progression, a unique gray tone, and clean whites. Not all my negatives print well on it, but I can learn to calibrate the remaining films to Galerie and other available VC papers.

We all need to mentor someone to pick up anolog photography.
    Oriental is still available AFAIK, at least the VC. Maybe you mean the graded?

I'd be interested in making my own if it were the only viable alternative. Even so it would cut way back on my photography with yet another thing to do to get an image and a fairly involved one at that. Right now there's still too much good material still available for me to invest the time in that. I never even used Efke film or paper, except for the Silver Artist that they coated, and that just came out. I didn't have enough time to get used to it in order to actually miss it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I do believe that you are right PE. This is not going to get better for awhile, if at all. Film is rapidly becoming a boutique industry and even the Ilfords of the world will find it tough to keep going, and they probably have a better chance then most.

I am certainly interested in learning to coat my own emulsions. I have an older Cambo 8x10 as well as a couple 4x5 cameras I have held onto. I have bookmarked the light farm, have read a lot of Denise Ross's work, and have been following emulsion coating in a few forum posts here and on LargeFormatPhotography. But I suspect that I may have to put some money away for a workshop of some type real soon. It would certainly be nice to find something out West, closer to where I live, as travel funds are a bit tight and going East may not be easy to do.

I'll have to do some checking to see what is available.
    Yes, Denise was a student of mine several years ago. She is a superb photographer.

Mark Osterman and I teach joint courses at George Eastman House in Rochester. Our next course will either be Azo / Lupex type papers for contact printing, or Kdoabromide / Brovira type papers for enlarging. This will probably be in 2013.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Oriental is still available AFAIK, at least the VC. Maybe you mean the graded?

I'd be interested in making my own if it were the only viable alternative. Even so it would cut way back on my photography with yet another thing to do to get an image and a fairly involved one at that. Right now there's still too much good material still available for me to invest the time in that. I never even used Efke film or paper, except for the Silver Artist that they coated, and that just came out. I didn't have enough time to get used to it in order to actually miss it.
    Roger, Fotokemika makes/made two types of papers. Emaks is their graded paper, and Varycon is their variable contrast one. Both have a similar glossy surface, and paper color. Very beautiful stuff. Emaks gets deeper and richer blacks than Varycon (in my experience), but both are truly superb products. Efke films - well I've had mixed luck with them. A bit inconsistent from box to box, but really nice tonality.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin