Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,795   Online: 989

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Efke emulsions are unique and I absolutely love their paper so I hope this isn't true.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    re: Adox -- From what I understand the Adox "Art Series" films and papers are manufactured by Fotokemika. Thus, if and only if true all current Adox films and about half the papers would go away. From personal experience I really liked these films but the horrendous QC made them largely unusable for my purposes. I have had no experience with the papers.

Adox's "Premium Line" of papers which includes the MCC, MCP and the Fine Print Variotone will still be available as they are made at their own factory in Germany. I have used all these and they are superb.

Their website indicates they are preparing to manufacture their own "Premium Line" of films but they are not yet available.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oren Grad posts on the LF Forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad
    From the Freestyle "Industry Snapshot - August 2012", which arrived in my email this morning:

One bit of industry-product related news we need to report is the discontinuation of Fotokemika Emaks and Varycon black and white photographic papers by the manufacturer in Croatia. Efke brand films will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future but paper production from this factory will cease. This is due to the coating machinery no longer being economically repairable due to age and current manufacturing volume. While this is sad news, we are continuing dialog with the Fotokemika factory and working with them to acquire as much of Emaks and Varycon paper that they have left to keep this product in stock as long as possible.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well that corroborates what the Freestyle rep told me when I called yesterday. Very sad. At least film is still going in a positive note. Wonder if Silver Artist will then be coated by Foma or Kentmere next???

Think we need to still myth bust the "paper and film" rumor, all we got thus far is someone who spoke to Fotokemika and reported film and paper (from LFPF) and Freestyle saying only paper....
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Freestyle newsletter that mentions this sad news:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/indust.../snapshot.html
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanc View Post
    re: Adox -- From what I understand the Adox "Art Series" films and papers are manufactured by Fotokemika. Thus, if and only if true all current Adox films and about half the papers would go away. From personal experience I really liked these films but the horrendous QC made them largely unusable for my purposes. I have had no experience with the papers.

Adox's "Premium Line" of papers which includes the MCC, MCP and the Fine Print Variotone will still be available as they are made at their own factory in Germany. I have used all these and they are superb.

Their website indicates they are preparing to manufacture their own "Premium Line" of films but they are not yet available.

Agree about the quality and that's a relief.

I wrote back to Eric at Freestyle asking about the impact on Silver Artist paper and whether, if it was being coated by Fotokemika, they might be able to get the same base coated with a different emulsion by someone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Got a reply back from Eric, unexpected on Saturday. I'm on my iPhone now and will post the text from my computer later but the bottom line is yes - the Silver Artist is apparently too thick for anyone else with more modern equipment to coat. They are trying to get Fotokemika to coat a big batch before shutting down so they will have a stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread last night but here's the reply from Eric at Freestyle:

Here is straight from Eric:

Hello Roger,

Good question. Yes, this factory situation does affect our Arista Silver Artist series. It has been project we had been working on for quite some time and this recent news has presented a bit of a hiccup in the future production of this paper. We were quite proud of this product and were looking for continued production for the long term. The good news is that we do have three other papers on their way to us that will be very exciting. This will include Platine White Matte, BFK Rives Cream Semi-Matte, and Arches Velin Black Semi-Matte. They should be arriving in the next few weeks.

We are trying to convince Fotokemika to do a big production of the BFK Rives White Matte paper we had coated earlier this year so we can have it for a while longer.

Unfortunately, no one else has the capability of coating this emulsion on the thick fine-art base. Fotokemika’s coating technology is quite old and totally incompatible with the machinery in the other remaining coating facilities.

If you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Regards,

Eric Joseph
    Senior V.P. Merchandising & Product Development
    Freestyle Photographic Supplies
    www.freestylephoto.biz
    etjoseph@freestylephoto.biz

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford should be able to coat the paper, they coat Multigrade Art 300 after all. They are probably more expensive though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe they won't or Freestyle can't afford it or there's too large of a minimum order. I don't know, I just posted what Eric sent me.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin