Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,460   Online: 773

Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no argument that coating your own film will not be like the latest emulsions that are presently available from Kodak, Fuji, Ilford or Fotokemika. There are still a lot of very nice films out there. I do enjoy using Efke 25 films, so as long as there is film available from their stocks I will continue to purchase a little every month and put it on ice. But I also like Pan F 50 and FP4 Plus 125 so I will begin buying more of those films as well. I will also continue to buy and use Kodak's Portra films, as well as Gold 100 and 200 as long as I can afford them. One of the reasons that I haven't listed Fuji's fine slide films is that they are rapidly pricing themselves out of my reach. I use less and less. But, nonetheless, I hope we all continue to enjoy these films.

But at the same time I intend to start learning to make my own simple films. I have no misconceptions that they will ever be the same high quality films that we presently enjoy, but they are film, and I have seen some of the results. And I like it. I think others will as well. And while I expect that professional films will always be available, I am not so sure that I will be able to afford to use them as often as I do now. An inexpensive, homemade, alternative may be very welcome in the near future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest that those of you interested in this buy my book and DVD set. They are advertized here on APUG and can be purchased through the Photographers Formulary or Fotoimpex.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Mirko, is there any possibility that you will take over some of the machinery? I don't remember if it was you who once said that you wanted to move the production of the Adox films to Germany? You, of course, have more information about this than any of us, so I apologize beforehand if something impossible is suggested.
    How about the equipment for cutting and spooling 127-film? It would be very sad if this film format totally disappears from the market.
    Patrick,

actually we don´t need any additional equipment.
    We have all we need here in our factory.
    With 127 I can imagine that Fotokemika continues to spool it.
    They get out of coating but not entirely out of business.
    Probably they continue in the medical market with trade and confectioning.

Kind regards,

Mirko

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Richard;

It will most likely come down to making your own handcrafted films and papers. You would think that there would be some groundswell in reaction with people inquiring about methods and etc, but things are as usual on this front. Minimal interest. That is about 100 people out of the 50,000 APUG membership.

PE
    Money. And sort of space.
    Yesterday I went down to Glazer's Camera. I was going to buy some Fotokemika-made products, but on the shelf there was 8x10 E100G!! Wow! Guess what I bought, at nearly $800. Yeah, four boxes of 8x10 E100G. So the money went to film instead of buying a coating blade from Photographer's Formulary. Sure, it's a matter of choice, but one never will be made again, and I can buy a coating blade later.
    As for space, my bathroom is my darkroom, and can be seen in the Makeshift Darkrooms thread. Not a lot of space in there for a coating operation, but it can be done with some organization. I can set up for film developing, and then tear it down. I can set up for printing, and then tear it down. At some point I will make a cart for dry plate and making film. But not for a while yet. Not because I'm not interested, but because there's other priorities for photographic money.

Yeah, what I make at home won't be the equal of Kodak or Ilford. And I won't be able to make IR due to lack of dye. But it's something that I can do myself, and I would do it if I couldn't get any film at all. But of course since I shoot 4x5 and 8x10 (and I really like those formats), I have the option of plate processes. If I were strictly a roll film user, I'd be more than a bit worried. 35mm film needs the sprocket holes punched, and 120 needs paper backing, which won't last forever. And of course there's a problem with buying the support base. So I plan to start with wet plate and dry plate, and go to coating film and paper later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian;

Mark Osterman has a series of excellent workshops in wet plate and dry plate. So does his wife.

See their schedule on-line.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I pay more for the EFKE films already. I actually request the EFKE film when they have it in over the Ilford and Fuji B&W films.
    The classic emulsions of Efke suit me nicely as it goes hand in hand with the "Classic" looking portraits I shoot with 4x5 or with 120.
    I haven't used much in the way of their 35mm films, aside from the IR820 which is stunning, but the IR820 in 4x5 is just phenomenal..

This is a very sad announcement indeed, and I truly hope to see this film on the market for many more years to come....

I guess that means it is time to start stocking up!
    --------------------------------

APS, 35mm, 120, 4x5 and a Deardorff & Sons 4x5 Special under restoration.

I don't care the format, as long as it's film!

Flickr Pages - Here

Blogs - Here and Here

Shooter
    35mm
    I know this thread is about Efke, but I wonder about the making of IR film. I wonder if it would be possible for someone to produce their own IR film and start selling it? Prices would be very high due to economies of scale, but hopefully affordable.

It sounds like ADOX is prepared to continue making the ISO 25 and 50 classic formulas, so it could be much worse. Unfortunately, I am not set up for printing so the photo papers will have to wait.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I respectfully disagree with the digression this thread has taken. Mirko and Darko have all but confirmed that Fotokemika has ceased production of film and paper. Is there anyway that folks can discuss emulsion making/coating etc., elsewhere, like the Emulsion Making discussion section of Apug? I find it a bit distasteful, as there are hard working employees whose lives are sadly affected. I read this thread intently looking for a hopeful happy update and digressions as to why one should/shouldn't coat his/her materials to be too far from the topic at hand. Can these do it your self emulsion coating threads be continued in the hand coating apug section? Maybe this thread can deal with what stock is avail, when, where, and a hopeful update from Darko/Mirko that production has started again
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    Well how much Forte do you have left?
    With a little luck we are done until then ;-)

http://polywarmton.com/page5/page5.html
    I had forgotten about that project. (Been away from APUG for some time.) I think Forte will always be my favorite so this is great news! I really have a lot of large Forte graded papers left though, but plan to print a lot as well!

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin