Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,335   Online: 1082

Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122232425262731 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah saw that. Not sure what it all means.. Could be good or bad I guess. I don't think spin-offs do so well typically. So basically if nobody wants to by the film division its gone???

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, it is not gone, it is making too much money.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Phew "keep calm and shoot Tri-x i guess"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as it's out from under Perez and company, there has to be some hope. This is definitely the best option. No guarantees, but staying put was certain death. Let's hope things can be worked out. It won't be Kodak anymore. But that's preferable to the alternative.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure about that, Ken? Ok we all agree Perez sucks, but who knows who the buyer will be, what kind of slashing they will do to quality control etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've been following all this chatter with considerable interest. I've got a fair amt of Efke 25 film in
    6x9 format that I've got to start developing tonite. I know of absolutely no other film currently on the market which combines its potentially extreme acuity with such a long exposure scale. It's a wonder film up in the mtns where extreme contrast is common. Pan F is excellent but not suitable for
    the same kind of scenes at all. And in large format we have more choice because grain etc is seldom
    a worry. If these rumors actually transpire, I certainly hope someone will keep the formula alive, preferably under tighter quality control per dust etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Are you sure about that, Ken? Ok we all agree Perez sucks, but who knows who the buyer will be, what kind of slashing they will do to quality control etc.
    If the past is any sort of prelude to the future, yeah.

Besides, what's to keep Kodak (Perez and company) from being even more likely to slash quality control on their second go-around than a new buyer would be on their first? Especially if Perez's second chance goes as badly as his first? Putting the division up for sale means you don't want it. Buying the up for sale division means you do want it.

Reading the press release it doesn't look like Perez has changed a thing. Sounds like he has the same vision for Kodak's future after the bankruptcy as he had for the five-plus years before it. And we all saw how that turned out...

BTW, why is Perez still around at Kodak anyway??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought 10 more rolls of the Efke 25 in 135. Next week, I will buy some 120, may be the IR. I wish I could afford to buy more, but I'll go on like this until it's no longer available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a couple of very active Kodak threads going where the discussions of Perez might fit better. It would be nice if this one could stay focused on Fotokemika.

Shooter
    35mm
    So let me try to wrap my brain around this...

Kodak is selling its "legacy" imaging division, even though it produces a profit for Kodak.

Meanwhile, Efke, is ending its production of film because their machinery is so old that it can't be fixed for a price that would still allow them to make money. As I understand it, ADOX is moving the slower speed film production to Germany so we will hopefully still be able to enjoy them.

Something is seriously wrong with this picture. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me, using small words?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin