Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,077   Online: 924

Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526272832 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Efke will buy Kodak's film division.

OK, probably not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I've been following all this chatter with considerable interest. I've got a fair amt of Efke 25 film in
    6x9 format that I've got to start developing tonite. I know of absolutely no other film currently on the market which combines its potentially extreme acuity with such a long exposure scale. It's a wonder film up in the mtns where extreme contrast is common. Pan F is excellent but not suitable for
    the same kind of scenes at all. And in large format we have more choice because grain etc is seldom
    a worry. If these rumors actually transpire, I certainly hope someone will keep the formula alive, preferably under tighter quality control per dust etc.
    Same here, I use once/twice a year some rolls Ilford PanF+ loaded in 6x9 or 135 but its different character.
    Its a matter of total reset of exposure and developing to come close to the Efke look, and until we still got the Efke available, there is no use to cross the street with a helicopter..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    So let me try to wrap my brain around this...

Kodak is selling its "legacy" imaging division, even though it produces a profit for Kodak.

Meanwhile, Efke, is ending its production of film because their machinery is so old that it can't be fixed for a price that would still allow them to make money. As I understand it, ADOX is moving the slower speed film production to Germany so we will hopefully still be able to enjoy them.

Something is seriously wrong with this picture. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me, using small words?
    "It's all screwed up."

Or in a single acronym, SNAFU.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    fke, is ending its production of film because their machinery is so old that it can't be fixed for a price that would still allow them to make money. As I understand it, ADOX is moving the slower speed film production to Germany so we will hopefully still be able to enjoy them.

Something is seriously wrong with this picture. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me, using small words?
    Efke is ceasing production voluntarily because they cannot make money in selling film and papers anymore. Market prices are way to low for silver based products since about 5 years, especially if your products contain a lot of silver.
    Many of our ambitious projects stalled because of this as well.
    Repairing the machine is not an option because it makes no economic sense to continue the production after the repair has been done. Not because it can´t be done or there would be no money available (this is simplifying things a bit but in general this is true).

We are not moving their production anywhere. This sad news has hit us suddenly and all we do at this point is thinking about ways what possibly could be done now to deal with the situation. Our stocks will be depleted in about 2 months.

One option is to manufacture a similar film on a small scale with modern technology at a higher price. If it sells at this price, production is sustainable.
    This is only possible in our very small factory which we built from pieces of the former Agfa research dept. We are talking quantities here which are a fraction of what efke did and needed to do in order to support their operation in the size it was. They were small compared to Ilford and Kodak but are also quite large compared to us.
    For efke this is not an option because on a higher price level turnover will fall and both will lead to the same outcome: Not being able to recover running costs from sales or even think about profit.

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 08-24-2012 at 03:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mirko I for one would be willing to pay more for similar products to EFKE 50 and EMAK Matt emphasis on Matt paper.
    If not Efke 50 then maybe an ISOPAN or Super Sensitive Panachromatic substitute

Viel Glück, hoffentlich findet ihr eine Lösung für diese besch...ne Situation.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same as Dominik, I would be willing to pay more for similar products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But sadly, Mirko is right. Most people WON'T pay more for the same or similar products. Everyone has been conditioned to count pennies like they are made of gold. Even when they are only hurting themselves in the log run. I realize that for some this is out of necessity. No argument in those cases.

But for those that are able to pay more, but just can't bring themselves to do it, well, you get what you pay for. Or won't pay for.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    But sadly, Mirko is right. Most people WON'T pay more for the same or similar products. Everyone has been conditioned to count pennies like they are made of gold. Even when they are only hurting themselves in the log run. I realize that for some this is out of necessity. No argument in those cases.

But for those that are able to pay more, but just can't bring themselves to do it, well, you get what you pay for. Or won't pay for.

Ken
    I agree with you, Ken. But I have a perspective of both not being able to buy film other than old outdated stuff, or the really inexpensive hot deals at Freestyle, etc to happily shooting (almost) nothing but TMax 400 for a few years. I can honestly say that when I paid more for my film, I appreciated it more, and saw it more as an investment in both myself, and the industry.
    If nobody buys the higher priced, but higher quality, products, then we will be stuck with the low quality / low price products that people pay for. It's as simple as that, really.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Really sad news!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mirko, I have been shooting Efke 25 in 8x10, 11x14 and on special order 8x20. Currently the FP4+ is $100.00 US a box more. I'd be willing to pay more to keep the 25 alive. I guess it is how much more? It is my main film and gives me what I need for my carbon transfer work. The look is what I do not want to loose. Hopefully you can keep the 25 alive. I will support it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin