Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,921   Online: 873

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829303135 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I for one will watch for the ISO 25 film, particularly if it is a similar emulsion to Fotokemika's product. I have used the Adox Ortho 25 and Pan 25 in the past, and will likely begin using it again when my supply of Efke 25 runs out.
    Adox Pan 25 was discontinued last year, there was a thread on apug about it and Mirko explained all.
    There are still some "ADOX PAN 25 120 -while stock lasts-" rolls on Fotoimpex website, so You might get lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Adox Pan 25 was discontinued last year, there was a thread on apug about it and Mirko explained all.
    There are still some "ADOX PAN 25 120 -while stock lasts-" rolls on Fotoimpex website, so You might get lucky.
    Ah well. Foiled again. I guess it is a good thing that I have a lot of Efke 25 on ice. Hopefully someone will decide to produce some more before I run out.

None the less, my film supply problems are very, very minor compared to all the people in Croatia who no longer have a job. I have been there before so I do hope that things work out for them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It's very sad that Fotokemika's situation is at the point of diminishing return. When I think of the employees who rely on their operation for a living it becomes even harder to accept. I'm not sure how silver rich their films and papers are in comparison to Foma, Ilford, Kodak, etc, but it is a thing of economy of scale. If you spend more money making the product than you can reasonably charge for it, there isn't much that can be done.

Silver (and other raw materials) has become incredibly expensive, and you can view it as a similar situation to the transportation industry; take airlines, for example. It used to be that jet fuel was rather inexpensive, so the airlines could fly people to all corners of the world with fuel guzzling airplanes at reasonable prices. But then fuel prices went up, and all of a sudden their profits were gone, to the point that they have to stop handing out meals on most flights, charge for suitcases etc - basically put all those costs back with the customers. Now, with more fuel efficient engines and technology it's entirely possible to be profitable again, as difficult as it may seem, but it can be done.
    Back to film - silver is like jet fuel - incredibly expensive. So what can Fotokemika do? They don't have enough R&D to redesign their films to contain less silver, so they could increase their prices. But then their market share would shrink, probably significantly. I'm sure there are those who would be willing to pay more, but what percentage of the population that uses the products today (world wide) would be willing to do that? Who's to say they would remain loyal?

I don't think for a second that it was an easy decision to make, but really, where do they go from here?

Here in the US the films are already on par with Kodak and Ilford price wise. But their papers are much lower priced. Even Foma papers are as expensive as Ilford now, so there would be a fair bit of margin expansion possible in their paper range at least. I'm not so sure about the film range, but at least it's unique enough that they aren't directly comparable to anything else. I'm sure they've weighed these options, but it would be very interesting to hear the reasoning from within the walls at Fotokemika.

Though in this case it is about Fotokemika's paper production, not film.

"From the Freestyle "Industry Snapshot - August 2012", which arrived in my email this morning:

One bit of industry-product related news we need to report is the discontinuation of Fotokemika Emaks and Varycon black and white photographic papers by the manufacturer in Croatia. Efke brand films will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future but paper production from this factory will cease. This is due to the coating machinery no longer being economically repairable due to age and current manufacturing volume. While this is sad news, we are continuing dialog with the Fotokemika factory and working with them to acquire as much of Emaks and Varycon paper that they have left to keep this product in stock as long as possible."

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Though in this case it is about Fotokemika's paper production, not film.

"From the Freestyle "Industry Snapshot - August 2012", which arrived in my email this morning:

One bit of industry-product related news we need to report is the discontinuation of Fotokemika Emaks and Varycon black and white photographic papers by the manufacturer in Croatia. Efke brand films will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future but paper production from this factory will cease. This is due to the coating machinery no longer being economically repairable due to age and current manufacturing volume. While this is sad news, we are continuing dialog with the Fotokemika factory and working with them to acquire as much of Emaks and Varycon paper that they have left to keep this product in stock as long as possible."

You need to read the thread as that's already out of date news.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Correct Ian, in the States we got that info from Freestyle, however, some locals in Europe, such as Darko and Mirko from Adox have sadly confirmed that this is paper and film.

I think the Freestyle memo is much out of date sadly
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Auch!

So now with APX-100 gone, and as it seems then, Efke 100 passing doing the same...

Damn!

Has anyone talked to Fotokemika direct about this?
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    Efke is ceasing production voluntarily because they cannot make money in selling film and papers anymore. Market prices are way to low for silver based products since about 5 years, especially if your products contain a lot of silver.
    Many of our ambitious projects stalled because of this as well.
    Repairing the machine is not an option because it makes no economic sense to continue the production after the repair has been done. Not because it can´t be done or there would be no money available (this is simplifying things a bit but in general this is true).

We are not moving their production anywhere. This sad news has hit us suddenly and all we do at this point is thinking about ways what possibly could be done now to deal with the situation. Our stocks will be depleted in about 2 months.

One option is to manufacture a similar film on a small scale with modern technology at a higher price. If it sells at this price, production is sustainable.
    This is only possible in our very small factory which we built from pieces of the former Agfa research dept. We are talking quantities here which are a fraction of what efke did and needed to do in order to support their operation in the size it was. They were small compared to Ilford and Kodak but are also quite large compared to us.
    For efke this is not an option because on a higher price level turnover will fall and both will lead to the same outcome: Not being able to recover running costs from sales or even think about profit.

Mirko

Interesting!

Have you guys been prospecting on how the small niche market that still exist will be affected by the latest Kodak news? Maybe this would result in a potential increase in market share for you guys?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Auch!
    Has anyone talked to Fotokemika direct about this?
    Yes, I did. It is over for efke films and for emaks and varycon as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting!

Have you guys been prospecting on how the small niche market that still exist will be affected by the latest Kodak news? Maybe this would result in a potential increase in market share for you guys?
    Why? Is Kodak going out of business?

Even if they did, it would be too late to save EKFE products.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    let forget about repair for now. what price increase should be done to leave film and papers as per current sales volume?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin