Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,686   Online: 745

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak plant formulas were accessed by the Germans during WWII and made available to all Axis countries including Japan. Thus Konica and Fuji both used Agfa and "captured" formulas. At the end of WWII, the BIOS and FIAT reports reversed that "exchange" and made all Axis formulas available to the Allied countries.

Adox formulas in 1945 were no more nor less "good" than the German formulas, nor were they better than Kodak formulas. The basic advantage of the Agfa formulas was the use of Gold + Sulfur. Adox did not use that in 1945. Kodak was on the verge of discovery at the time the Agfa use was revealed.

Agfa used many chemicals which they refused to disclose and thus they are essentially lost now.

I have made several Agfa formulas in my own darkroom. It can be done. I encourage others to try.

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite paper, gone. Not happy.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have made several Agfa formulas in my own darkroom. It can be done. I encourage others to try.
    PE
    Out of curiosity, can the BIOS / FIAT reports be read online?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The BIOS and FIAT reports are not on-line AFAIK. They probably can be had at a local library. The KRL Library has copies. I have read them both and have copious notes. In terms of today's formulas, the formulas in them are incredibly simple. Bu also, to an extent, incomplete. They didn't tell all.

Reading is not that far from Rochester. Come to a GEH workshop!

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's sad to see good graded papers die. I don't need all the multigraded complexity all the time. Guess foma and ilford are all that's left.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It's sad to see good graded papers die. I don't need all the multigraded complexity all the time. Guess foma and ilford are all that's left.
    I believe, could be wrong, that with Fotokemika exiting paper, that would leave only Slavich as the last maker of graded matte paper (Ilford adn Foma dont do matte)....and getting matte graded it in the states is getting harder, looks like Laser Reflections in the state of WA is the last importer of matte graded paper....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most don't realize how difficult it is coating Baryta (FB) paper, especially with one coating machine.

The paper creates quite a bit of dust and chaff due to the Baryta, and thus the machine must be separate from film or if film is coated on the same machine, the room and the machine must be cleaned of debris before coating film.

So, I suspect a decline in FB paper and then RC paper, encouraging people to move to a hybrid process where they print using a digital printer.

This is indeed sad to see.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Zsas,

Whilst its true in Galerie FB we have not made Matte for years we do make Glossy grade 2 and Glossy grade 3 and in RC ILFOSPEED we make Glossy and Pearl ( granted its not a matte ) in grades 1 to 4.

Dear Ron:

Coating FB : Baryta base is still the same....dusty and chaff generating, as we coat every substrate on one machine ( M14 ) we obviously have a full pre-clean, but since the introduction of on-web ultra sonic cleaners we actually have virtually no coating loss due to dust, just the usual base imperfections....and the odd join! But you are absolutely correct, the clean up is the longest of all change overs.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon;

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Ilford has a very modern facility and can turn around rapidly. Some companies don't have that capability and therefore if paper sales decline it is much more economical to cease paper production in the face of the massive cleanup job.

At Kodak Rochester, we never had the problem. There were 6 machines in 3 rooms with 4 operational at any one time. The other two were undergoing refit and cleaning. Of course, these were the most modern. There were also other coating machines. There were two separate buildings devoted to film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...Whilst its true in Galerie FB we have not made Matte for years we do make Glossy grade 2 and Glossy grade 3...
    Readers please note that the surface of Ilfobrom Galerie, while called glossy by HARMAN, differs from the glossy surfaces of many papers, including other Ilford fiber based products. It is very smooth, lacking any surface texture which can interfere with fine image detail or detract from even sky appearance, and exhibits far less of the surface reflectivity that makes illumination angle so critical when viewing prints on typical fiber based papers.

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of whole plate Delta 100 from this year's special order run (hopefully) next month. In preparation, I've been calibrating my negative exposure/development and printing workflow using 5x7 Delta 100. Having just dry mounted the final resulting print from that effort yesterday, I can report that this is the most exquisite, straightforward materials combination I've worked with in nearly 45 years. Beside looking wonderful, no darkroom heroics are necessary to achieve very fine results.

In my opinion, those who lament the cost of Galerie compared to (disappearing) alternatives ought give this combination a try. It's possible that ease of obtaining excellent prints will substantially offset the paper's price. Even if it doesn't, HARMAN's commitment and manufacturing agility in a world of diminishing options are themselves worth a premium.

Try not to be someone who knows the price of all things and the value of none.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin