Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,724   Online: 858

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3135363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew, excellent. Thanks for the link.

I also went and looked at the Adox website and they do now make CMS 20 in 4x5. That would really be a good choice for what I'm doing. I don't know where to order it in the US, but maybe Freestyle will start to carry it now that the CHS Art film is no longer available.

http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Fi...CMS_Films.html

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm new to APUG and I have to say I'm very very impressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Freestyle just got thier final order of both paper and film in, order up, it's going to go fast...
    True they have. Last time I checked yesterday, they had 90 rolls of Efke 25 left from the new order. But that said the lady did tell me they may be acquiring one last order of Efke in November of the remaining stocks they have. So there is still a chance to get more if needed. I placed my small orders for Efke 25 in 120 and 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    True they have. Last time I checked yesterday, they had 90 rolls of Efke 25 left from the new order. But that said the lady did tell me they may be acquiring one last order of Efke in November of the remaining stocks they have. So there is still a chance to get more if needed. I placed my small orders for Efke 25 in 120 and 35mm.
    I was also told that last stock of CHS 25 will be in November, I ordered 50 rolls (120), hope they will come and join to 130 CHS 25 rolls that are in my freezer Love this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got in my five rolls of 35mm 820Aura and 5 rolls of 120 IR (non-Aura) yesterday and today. Is there really much difference between the two? I don't see that much difference in the images I can find online. I may put in one more order for IR film, since there isn't anything else really like it - the Rollei IR is rather different, and maybe closer to Ilford SFX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, from what I gather there is not that much difference between regular 820 and aura unless you get into contrasty lighting with things like trees against skies when the halation kicks in a bit. I also heard that the Aura is a bit more demanding of subdued light when loading. Needless to say, I am we'll stocked at 50 rolls of each in 120 and 500 sheets of non-Aura in 4x5. I ran a roll of 120 last week and it is really a gorgeous film, the closest to HIE we will ever have I think.

That being said I *love* Rollei IR 400 just as much for it's stark look and tight grain, been shooting a lot of it this week for Fall colors. I hope that film sticks around awhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Think I'll lay in some more IR820 in 120 and 4x5. I don't shoot much 35mm black and white any more except for very low light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One potential problem - the 120 I got from Freestyle has an expiration of 3/2013. That's a little short for stocking up. I don't recall the date on the 35mm Aura I got from B&H but I think it was a little longer, like fall next year. OTOH I have some Rollei IR in 35mm that I got last year and finally starting to shoot (frozen since) and it's dated 2015.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    One potential problem - the 120 I got from Freestyle has an expiration of 3/2013. That's a little short for stocking up. I don't recall the date on the 35mm Aura I got from B&H but I think it was a little longer, like fall next year. OTOH I have some Rollei IR in 35mm that I got last year and finally starting to shoot (frozen since) and it's dated 2015.
    Don't sweat it, I shot a roll of expiration 2009 last week and it looked perfect, no base fog, no demons.

To put it in perspective, a few years ago, I bought 50 rolls of David Romano's 2424 70mm Aerographic re-spooled into 120. I am thinking it expired in 2003, the year before he ran out and stopped doing it. Like all my 400 speed and other infrared films, it was consistently frozen at -10F or better. I still have 45 rolls of it left, shot a roll over the Summer and it is still perfect. I am thinking that based on my own personal experience, living closer to the sun than most at 8,000 feet, these films are good for at least 10 years if always kept frozen.

Stock up, this is the last of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool [pun intended.] I know medium speed films will keep at least 10 years frozen and even 400 speed films often will, but I also know the IR sensitizing dyes are less stable. I read somewhere about some expired Rollei still being a pretty good 400 film for normal light but having almost no IR sensitivity left.

I'll order some more and slap it in the freezer. I have a small dorm fridge - well, largish for a dorm fridge but still - with a tiny freezer unit in the basement with the darkroom but the freezer is jam packed already. Most unexpired film I think I will shoot before or soon beyond expiration just stays in the fridge section. I paid a coworker $50 for it so it was worth that. But the IR went in the food freezer. My wife is tolerant as she loves art. In fact she was telling me when she had drinks with her girlfriends last night they asked about me and she bragged but the only negative thing she had to say was "he doesn't use his darkroom enough. He loves it and needs to work in it more." So she'll be fine with a bit more film in the freezer. I'm going to have to just get a small chest freezer from Home Depot or somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You remember Forte? They had their papers that were unequalled. Their film was also selling nicely. In the end they even had money for retechnologisation. But a fast buck was easier to be made by tearing all down and sell the ground it stand on.
    Fotokemika stands even better. They are practically monopolists with their IR-film, their films are also unique (unique in their old technology) and their paper seems also not to be the worst. Besides they are one of the last (after Forte is gone) big capacity coaters. Then they have the money but say themselves investition will return too slowly. So I ask myself, where exactly are their factories located?
    Come on, how is Fuji, Foma and some others getting profit out of BW material? They also need to invest in maintaining their machines.
    To me this sudden need to reinvest into maintenance looks like an excuse. I bet somebody will make very fast a fortune after the plant is shut down.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin