Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 808

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Film was not cheap when I started in photography 38 years ago. Houses, fuel, cars, all have increased more than film.

I think we also need to consider what photography is worth in the rewards it gives us. I used to be criticized by people I knew because I drove an older car but bought new photo equipment. I saw some of them buy much more car than they needed, just to impress people. I don't care to impress people, and was not about to spend hard-earned cash to "keep up" with someone else.
    I think I was more sensible than they were, but what it really comes down to is, do what makes you happy. They would take on debt to have a fancy car or truck, because that made them happy. My idea of happiness is much different: good equipment, plenty of film, and the time to shoot it.

When I was young and poor, I shot Kodachrome, and I had to discipline myself to make every shot count. I did experiment, but always with a clear purpose. Today, I still do try to make every shot count. Film is not prohibitively expensive; it's just whether the reward is great enough to make it worth the cost. To me it is, and I don't mind giving something else up to afford it, if that's what it takes.

As a hobby, film photography is not more expensive compared to others. Try skydiving, or motorcycling, or fishing, or even ceramics. Or the business I was in for years, golf. If the passion is there, people find a way to do it.
    Exactly. Plenty of people have much more expensive hobbies.

I do sympathize with folks who really can't afford or struggle to afford materials. I've been there in high school and college. But we will never help film survive by trying to make it cheap. We will help it survive be emphasizing the qualities and craft involved. It must be promoted among those who can afford it without worry about the cost. That's the only way the market is going to remain.

Manufacturers shouldn't fret about it but make the best materials they can possibly make, then charge what they need to charge to make a fair profit on them. Obviously there's a point where this wouldn't be true, for example if someone could market a paper that's marginally better than the second best paper but costs $10 per 8x10 sheet. But if you are anywhere near market prices, make a superior product and people will buy it. Witness Ilford's MGWT FB paper and Multigrade Art 300 papers. These are some of the most expensive papers available on the market, yet MGWT FB is wildly popular and Art is becoming popular. MGWT is perhaps the finest conventional fiber paper I've ever printed on. I currently use it when I want a warmer tone and Adox MCC 110 when I want a neutral tone, and that paper too is some of the most expensive available. Both are worth it.

Make it superb, charge what you need to charge, promote film among those who can afford to pay what it costs. This doesn't mean, of course, that one is unsympathetic or discouraging to those who can't. Perhaps groups can get together and buy in larger quantities. People can discuss techniques for saving materials. More importantly, people will learn to make each shot and each print count.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As an art student I can tell you all art is expensive. Last year in figure drawing I paid around $8 for a sheet of 22 x 30 paper. Not to mention having to constantly replace charcoal. Painting is even more expensive. I've seen $80 brushes. Not to mention the cost of paint at up to $20 for a medium sized tube. Actually, since I buy Arista EDU film, photography is one of the least expensive mediums I work with. But keeping my darkroom running does add up. For those who complain of expense, get over it. I wouldn't mind higher prices, especially if it allowed the manufacturer to make a profit and keep going.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Yashinoff, If you worry about 127 film format, simply buy film slitter from Ebay (http://tinyurl.com/9kch85e - I think this seller is also APUG member) and then you can roll your own from 120 or 70mm films. Last spring I bought one for 70mm and it works. Save all backing papers and spools from your existing stock and you are in business.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That guy at Ebay seems to have stopped selling.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I Bought mine in April this year and in that time he didn't have any for sale in his Ebay shop, so I send him a message and he responded and sold me one.
    Found his private email: Joe McGloin; xkaes(at)aol.com.
    Very, very simple design, but it works! If you are heavy user of 127 it's no brainer with price of $10 per roll of 127.

Shooter
    Medium Format

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That article does not tell much news except that an inititive has started to make a museum from part of the premises including the unused machinery that is going to corrode even more by now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That guy at Ebay seems to have stopped selling.
    See ebay seller xkaes for "Al Spoil film slitter -- cut any film down to any size"

Same seller as listed in post #423. I have bought from him and it is fine.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As an art student I can tell you all art is expensive. Last year in figure drawing I paid around $8 for a sheet of 22 x 30 paper. Not to mention having to constantly replace charcoal. Painting is even more expensive. I've seen $80 brushes. Not to mention the cost of paint at up to $20 for a medium sized tube. Actually, since I buy Arista EDU film, photography is one of the least expensive mediums I work with. But keeping my darkroom running does add up. For those who complain of expense, get over it. I wouldn't mind higher prices, especially if it allowed the manufacturer to make a profit and keep goin
    Not all art is expensive if you have talent. My boss had an old friend , a true Ottoman Gentleman who prefers to drink coffee.
    When he finished it , he was taking a small brush and paint most wonderful istanbul seaside pictures I have ever seen.
    Drawing and painting does not require expensive papers or paints , even tea works as your paint.
    Many painters paint on thick small notebooks , its enough. The important think is to trust yourself , work carefully and do your best. I saw excellent drawings done with pencil and thin cheap paper.
    If you start art with most expensive carrara marble and try to create michelangelo , I advise you to find few dimes and carve hobo nickel with cheap swiss knife or nail. In my eye , they are better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Not all art is expensive if you have talent. My boss had an old friend , a true Ottoman Gentleman who prefers to drink coffee.
    When he finished it , he was taking a small brush and paint most wonderful istanbul seaside pictures I have ever seen.
    Drawing and painting does not require expensive papers or paints , even tea works as your paint.
    Victor Hugo, the very great poet and novelist, was also a very decent drawer. He had the habit of letting coffee fall on a piece of paper and then "spreading" it with a point with a chiaroscuro effect.

Some of his designs are visible at the Victor Hugo museum in the house he dwelt, in Place des Vosges, when he had to flee precipitously during the night of the coup d'état by the future Napoleon III.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin