Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,345   Online: 1006

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3539404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."

Well played, Roger.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    And when Kodak and Fuji abandon us then even a Fotokemika would be wonderful to have.
    When the alternative is extinction, you never want to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    And when Kodak and Fuji abandon us then even a Fotokemika would be wonderful to have.
    If/when that happens there'll be no need for a Fotokemika. You'll have Ilford.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Well FotoKemika is dead regardless
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format

Re: Fotokemika ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    If/when that happens there'll be no need for a Fotokemika. You'll have Ilford.
    Ha yes - they do seem to be well commited, which is good

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The saddest part of this whole story is that important machinery is functional. Or, to expand on it, it's as functional as it was for the past ten years, since their move from the original plant right across the street (now a cement factory). Which means, with glitches, but good enough to coat and cut films and papers many of you have used and still use. It's the facilities, which are literally - and obviously - falling apart. A portion of the roof collapsed during coating. There was no damage to the machine, but basic working conditions can't be met anymore - total darkness, proper ventilation and safety being just a few. And the building is owned by someone else, who doesn't care much about the whole shebang and wants them out. So the company owner, Josip Ćuk (pronounced "tchuke" as in "fluke"), stopped all production on June 15th last year and them entity named "Fotokemika Nova" is currently being liquidated. The two women in the picture are a granddaughter and a daughter of two former employees of the company. They're fighting to have the machines saved from scrap and hope to get museums in the Netherlands and Croatia show enough interest and actually do save the machinery. Thankfully, they have full support of Ćuk, an employee of Fotokemika since the late eighties, who will gladly donate the machines to them. The big white-on-black title reads: "I sold two machines to scrap and got $2600 for them, admits the owner". However, he explains in the text that these were out of function for years (packaging finalization devices). So not all is completely lost yet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And Roger you are right. However, there are far more complaints about EFKE products here than for products from the big 3. I have seen defects that others have missed AAMOF. I have some samples here that I posted and I got no comment.

You see, one of the defects is uneven coating speed. This causes a sinusoidal coating pattern giving products high and low density in a given pattern. You would see it very badly in LF, but hardly at all in 35mm. Another unremarked problem is particles of dirt and dust in the coated film. So, they do well as IMHO most here ignore or are not aware of these "tiny" problems.

PE
    I'll probably find out. Last year I bought a grafmatic holder off LFPF and the seller threw in a mostly full box of 4x5 Efke 100. I plopped it in the freezer but haven't tried any of it. I recently bought a 50 sheet box of 4x5 Efke IR820 too when this news hit, so I'll see about that. It's probably staying frozen until spring. There's not a lot of good IR shooting in the winter in my area with vegetation dead and many days gloomy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I brought up issues regularly such as these to the importer [will go un-named]. These issues would be ignored or treated with a blind eye. The point wasn't to bitch about the company - they were what they were - the point was to keep customers informed. That wasn't always the 1st priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And Roger you are right. However, there are far more complaints about EFKE products here than for products from the big 3. I have seen defects that others have missed AAMOF. I have some samples here that I posted and I got no comment.

You see, one of the defects is uneven coating speed. This causes a sinusoidal coating pattern giving products high and low density in a given pattern. You would see it very badly in LF, but hardly at all in 35mm. Another unremarked problem is particles of dirt and dust in the coated film. So, they do well as IMHO most here ignore or are not aware of these "tiny" problems.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    You might find further two pictures from the complete article even more telling:
    It's amazing to think this machinery was still in use less than a year ago. With apparently a hole in the factory roof too, it's now clear why production couldn't continue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hope my stash of the last of it represents passion and commitment over apathy and dejection...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin