Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,505   Online: 861

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    35mm
    What I think Simon meant was more something like 30-40$ apiece.

What absolutely frustrates me is KODAK. Kodak was supposed to be a prime player in the whole industry, thanks to its R&D (Nasa and other companies needing a company like what Kodak "was" comes to mind). If Kodak was normally managed, by people of average intelligence, it could have easily kept all its FILM and PAPER Division Intact (IR films and Kodachrome included) just for the sake of Americana Folklore, even if that particular film division would be losing money. Kodak would have been able to afford to lose money on that division for the sake of being a leader.

But no. Martinez, I mean Gonzalez, no, I mean Perez had to turn Kodak into a shoe company. Or something like that.

Sorry for the rant.

Go Ilford!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, if he meant that why wouldn't he have said that??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's like Kodak is stuck in first gear after an inappropriate downshift.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hopefully there will be some clarity on the film division of Efke and SOON. I love Efke 25 and I am ready to pull the trigger on a sizable purchase in various sheet sizes. But I refuse to buy something I know or looks like its going away. I have done that in the past and decided to not do it again, its just putting off the inevitable. I am holding my wallet for a week or so until there is again hopefully more clarity. My fav films are Kodak Tri-x and Efke. Ilford is OK from my experience, and I honestly have not spent the time to dial it in and others have undoubtedly done great work with it. So I am sure it can deliver just a question of some personal tests. But it can't be denied there commitment to film is making me seriously give them a look and sooner rather than later. The likes of Simon on here also goes miles in leading me in that direction. But I really would miss Efke 25 and not sure what film is a substitute, the tonality just speaks to me. However on the few occasions that I have shot pan-F I have seen it capable of similar tones that I like. I wonde,r if Efke goes is it unreasonable for a sheet version of panF to be a replacement??? Simon says????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am doing the opposite. I like Efke 25 quite a bit and use it in 4x5, 120 and 35mm. Unfortunately my budget won't allow a massive one time purchase, instead I have to spread it out. Last month I made a sizable purchase of R 25. This month I'll pick up a few bulk rolls of KB 25. In September, God willing and the creek don"t rise, I'll purchase some more PL 25. In October I'll start the process all over again. It should save quite well in the freezer and eventually I'll have enough to keep me using Efke 25 film for quite a few years during which time I hope someone else comes out with a useful alternative. If not, I will still be able to enjoy this film for a while longer. Hopefully the price won't start getting too high before I get a bit laid by in the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford film and paper is all excellent. I've been using MCC110 and Ilford MGWT FB for neutral and warm respectively but going to take another look at MGIV. I'm as impressed as others with Ilford's commitment to analog and black and white and seriously thinking of going 100% Ilford except where there's a unique product they have nothing like.

Ilford is also, in my experience, very consistent. I was running low on 8x10 MGWT and used 11x14 for cutting test strips - absolutely consistent exposure from these two boxes of different sizes.

It's a bit pricey (then again, so is MCC 110) but worth it. And the film is lots cheaper than Kodak in sheets. (Well, anything is. Kodak seems determined to price themselves out of sales of sheet film.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Eugene et al,

Let me have a look at some raw material requirements, PE makes the most pertinent point regarding IR sensitising dye. You must remember also that IR film availability only came about as a spin off from military ( aerial ) / scientific coatings that are obviously just not required anymore.

Whilst we have the capability to coat a very small run ( 5,000m2 ) you have to remember that is still 85,000 films.

Also, you cannot coat on one base, sheet film, maniature (35mm ) and roll film are all different bases.

I have to be honest I cannot possibly imagine that it could generate a sufficient ROI, but I will have a deeper look at it.

I will come back in a week or so when I have some more information.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it may not. Fotokemika has been doing it, but they're also going under, from all appearances.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    What I think Simon meant was more something like 30-40$ apiece.

What absolutely frustrates me is KODAK. Kodak was supposed to be a prime player in the whole industry, thanks to its R&D (Nasa and other companies needing a company like what Kodak "was" comes to mind). If Kodak was normally managed, by people of average intelligence, it could have easily kept all its FILM and PAPER Division Intact (IR films and Kodachrome included) just for the sake of Americana Folklore, even if that particular film division would be losing money. Kodak would have been able to afford to lose money on that division for the sake of being a leader.

But no. Martinez, I mean Gonzalez, no, I mean Perez had to turn Kodak into a shoe company. Or something like that.

Sorry for the rant.

Go Ilford!!
    If Kodak was a hobby then Kodak can take a loss, but Kodak is a publicly traded company and needs to make money, if Kodak cant make money then it will end up with Studabaker, Pam Am and TWA. 20 years ago Kodak was a 20B company, today less than 2B, it's scale makes it diffcult make money with small runs of paper or film. Forte and Agafa faced many of the same problems in terms of scale and they are gone. I hope that Ilford and Forma hang on, and perhaps more Fuji products become avialable in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really saddened by the Fotokemika news. Both Emaks and Varycon are amazing photo papers, and I was just about to embark on a printing project involving Emaks. I might still do it, provided Freestyle can negotiate a deal of last minute inventory. They are amazing for portraits, and super for lith printing too. What a shame.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin