Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,997   Online: 1178

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Good question. Why on earth WOULD you use a lens like that in bright light? It's a special purpose built low light lens.

You were clear. There are always special cases and enough other people have made the point that I concede there is an apparent need for slow films though I don't ever personally need them. But come on - shooting that lens wide open in sun? Why?
    By using a wide open aperture, you keep depth of field shallow and allow the background to disappear into a blur. As I mentioned, this issue is aperture driven. Not everyone wants to have everything in the frame razor sharp. And no, these lenses were not just for low light. From The OM System Lens Handbook (1983) Page 150:

"The Joys of Wide Open Apertures
    In the Old days it was a recognized photo technique to stop down the lens aperture to improve picture quality. In those times lens performance wasn't what it is now, and film performance and flatness also left much to be desired, so stopping down the lens was the sensible thing to do. Perhaps the image of those days is still with us, because many people still seen to think the lens has to be stopped down for satisfying results. But times have changed. Today's lenses are outstanding performers. Especially with lenses like this Zuiko 250mm F2 that makes use of special new types of optical glass, you can get astonishingly sharp images even at wide open apertures. If you can get really sharp images at wide open apertures, except for the narrowing of the depth of field the advantages are extraordinary. Most important of all is that you can use high shutter speeds, or benefit from the superior color rendition of lower speed films."
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look, I KNOW about shooting wide open and depth of field.

But 250mm at f/2 on 35mm? You want one freckle on the front of a cheek sharp and ones on the back blurred? Well, ok, whatever floats your boat. I'm not questioning wide apertures for that. I'm just wondering why, say, f/4, isn't wide enough, at 250mm.

I sometimes like shooting 4x5 lenses wide open too. But the fastest one I have is f/4.7. The other two are 6.8 and 7.8. The 4.7 might be challenging in bright sun with 100 film, but I don't shoot it in bright sun.

But whatever and ok. None of us HAVE to shoot film or make photographs anyway (I mean, we may be driven to but would not die if we didn't.) So if that's what you enjoy have at it, and I hope Efke 25 continues to be available for a very long time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope the efke film continues for many years, as for Pan-f in sheets, I think that Simon has answered that, it can't be done. The emulsion physically can't be coated on the sheet film base. Pity, I love that film, it would be fun to use in 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think Panatomic-X was made in sheets back when it was made either, was it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box of Panatomic-X in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 sheets marked "Develop before Sept. 1960".
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am hoping Ilford has at least something on the shelf that is pan-f 'ish in case Efke does go down. Hearing different rumors so nothing surprises me at the moment. So if Efke's goes what would you replace it with in sheet format? I am not sure i know the answer to that from what I tend to like... Maybe fp4+???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    "Develop before Sept. 1960".
    Wow. That's some procrastination! I don't think that I can match that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak IR film was sold independently of any pressing or huge need by the military. It was sold as a consumer film for the first 35mm cameras sold by EK. In fact, they advertize its used with the early cameras.

PE
    New for 1938:
    Kodak 35 camera
    HIE film
    A new International Surrealist Exhibition was held at the Beaux-arts Gallery, Paris.
    Lysergic acid diethylamide

Ahh, the zeitgeist!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box of Panatomic-X in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 sheets marked "Develop before Sept. 1960".
    Wow. That's some procrastination! I don't think that I can match that.
    Unopened box of 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Ansco color- Develop before Apr 1950
    sorry for going off topic

So if Efke's goes what would you replace it with in sheet format? I am not sure i know the answer to that from what I tend to like... Maybe fp4+???
    FOMA/Arista 100, In sheet form I always rate it at 50 and like the look it gives
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Sitting here snickering about this post and it hit that the only readily available 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film I know of is EFKE now I'm really worried about it
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin