Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 893

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Scratched Negatives Expectations?

When you get negatives back from a lab, what are you expectations regarding scratches? Do you expect/demand none? Or do you have some level of acceptance that scratches happen?

I want to keep my expectations in line with what is reasonable.

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had one scratch on a slide in the last four years of using my lab. It was scanned however. This is the only time I can imagine negatives getting scratched because of the extra handling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I can process and print from my negs without scratching them, I expect someone getting paid to handle others' film to not scratch it either. Ditto for dust, though I find that more difficult to avoid on my own (my darkroom is also the laundry room and we have 4 dogs).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I expect the lab to take reasonable care of my film while in their possession. I have never had film scratched by professional labs, but it has happened at lower cost places.

You might consider doing your own film processing too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Do you expect/demand none?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you tell if the lab scratched the film, or it was done in camera?
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you tell if the lab scratched the film, or it was done in camera?
    Scratches done in camera have a very distinct appearance.

And generally you will be able to see them on undeveloped film, so if you are suspicious about the camera, it is worthwhile wasting a bit of film to check.

And that certainly is not a stupid question!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And how is this topic and the other one you titled something like first film shot in 10 years....."Industry News"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll quote an earlier post I made about the praise being rained down on Richard Photo (who, while I'm sure they are a good lab, are simply doing what any good lab -should- be doing)

If I get film back with scratches, dried in dust, or other blemishes, it seriously compromises my faith in that lab's ability to meet my standards. I understand that errors occur from time to time, but I will not accept them. My father used to send volumes of chrome to Duggal every month (on the order of 600-900 rolls) when he was photographing full time, for 15 years and I have never heard him tell any horror stories. When he switched to ColorEdge (now CRC) for color negative processing, sending the same amount of film, it was the same case.

It's a lab's job to give you professional results.

A certain quote from The Rock comes to mind.

"Your best? Losers "try their best". Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin