Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,237   Online: 972

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes but don't trust the present to provide many clues about the future. So far, Ilford is the surest bet for b&w. C-41 is the problem with MP materials' longevity the great unknown. E-6 materials are nearly dead. What's certain as it gets is that what survives will be pricier and less widely available than before. The demise of cheap C-41 35mm dev/print service in N. America said it all about color film consumption. But there is a future and it won't be totally awful--just very different than where many of us stand now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been on photo.net since 1999 and on this site since 2003. Around 6-7 years ago people were saying on photo.net and photosig and a few other places I barely visit anymore that film would be really hard to get in 3 years and virtually gone within 5. They were very wrong.

Can I get 120 or B&W 35mm at the local druggist anymore? no. Can I get it at anywhere from at least a dozen places around the SF bay area? yes. Can I get it mail order from hundreds of places? Yes.

It's not leaving us any time soon if ever. And I suspect its use has bottomed and might be going up in many circles. Especially since more and more people are realizing that digital sucks. HA!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Can I get 120 or B&W 35mm [...] anywhere from at least a dozen places around the SF bay area? yes. Can I get it mail order from hundreds of places? Yes.
    So true. I've gotten BW and color in MF, LF, and 35 mm. You have quite a few places to get it processed too, and a few other places that allow you to process your BW film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital has all the benefits and few of the drawbacks of film photography with the added bonus of almost instant viewing. However there is nothing like exposing a film, developing it yourself and making prints from it. Sheer magic which digital will never equal. My ex wife came up with a good analogy for the two mediums :- Digital photographs do not have a soul!

Shooter
    35mm
    We still have three pro labs in town doing everything. Plus one hour c41 at some of the boxes, send out at others, with Fuji starting to dominate the hangars. Sounds like one market may not be all markets, and/or vice versa.

Personally, I find pessimism to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Tomorrow never comes, so bloviating about it, particularly with a full bladder, is decidedly boorish IMO.

If ya got it, stop whining and shoot it.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 08-10-2012 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Yep. Deadest horse on the site.

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    I think there are actually two questions:

1. Does film have a future?

2. Does AgX photography have a future?

The answer to question 1. depends on the future demand for film. If at some time the demand for film products drop below a critical level (and none of us know what that is), film is gone.

The answer to question 2. is only a function of the interests of present and future experimental minded photographers. As long as people care enough to experiment and make their own emulsions, AgX photography will survive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Digital has........the added bonus of almost instant viewing.
    Personally I find that aspect a huge detriment and distraction to my photography.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When the 60 megapixel camera could be found from thrift shop for 1 dollar , I will never use film again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am happy for this thread because I learned about the word "Bloviate".
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin