Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,564   Online: 1042

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm about 45,000 clicks into my DeeAteHundred, I find it to be absolutely spectacular even up to 6,400, easily on par with scanned 6x6 color film when printed up to 40" wide. That said, except for the NYT assignment I did with it on Friday, it has sat idle since the first week of August and will until around Thanksgiving....:-)
    According to my calculations, that's about right for heavily used camera. It's something like a click a minute, eight hours a day, seven days a week, for three months. What do you photograph? Fashion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    45,000 doesn't surprise me particularly, for Dan.

His cameras are tools for work. A D800 would be something one might use when large numbers of exposures would be appropriate.

Most likely it just takes one look at one menu or report using software for him to tell how many shots he has taken.

The small amount of output I have seen from a D800 was quite impressive - I am sure it is a well appreciated tool in the hands of those whose work requirements are well matched to it.

I wonder how many shots were taken by accredited photographers at the 2012 Olympics? I wonder how the number would compare to the number of frames of film shot at the last Olympics where film was the major medium?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    My medium format film camera gives spectacular results too, and cost under $200. What did your D800 cost?
    Yeah, I know, I shoot a Hasselblad 501 & 500 CM, my favorite camera of all time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    No doubt. I have maybe 45,000 clicks on ALL my cameras over ALL my time in the hobby. It boggles the mind that one could fire off so many shots in just the few short months the D800 has been around.

I dont think I could sustain interest in photography with so many images.
    Remember that pre-scouted location and 4:30am wake-up for me? Well, I made it out there on time. It took a while to set up the 8x10, compose, focus, and manage the image. Then I waited for sunrise and a 15 minute window between moving tree shadows. When it arrived I loaded holders into the camera, metered the required exposure, and...

Got my two (2) hard-earned shutter clicks for the day.

The first as metered. The second slightly overexposed to support the shadows in case I made an error while metering.

Ken

P.S. Lots of strange looks from the occasional passing car, but no public seminars today. Too early for anyone to be out on a Sunday morning, I guess.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    What's this got to do with the thread here?
    Besides which, the figure of 45,000 would seem highly improbable...
    The poster I replied to made a statement I found differently in my experience. I shoot high end advertising, corporate for the majority of my income, it's not uncommon to shoot a thousand frames a day on a gig that you are billing out at one D800 per day. One day in particular when one client could not re-schedule, I shot for 16 hours, over 3,000 frames, it was fun but nuts.

I make over 70% of my annual income in about 6 months, the rest of the time is all film and all fine art...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One day in particular when one client could not re-schedule, I shot for 16 hours, over 3,000 frames, it was fun but nuts.
    Yep. The difference between vocation and avocation...

Readers should first go look at Dan's work before questioning his methods too harshly. It's pretty spectacular stuff. Especially his Kodachromes.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-12-2012 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Remember that pre-scouted location and 4:30am wake-up for me? Well, I made it out there on time. It took a while to set up the 8x10, compose, focus, and manage the image. Then I waited for sunrise and a 15 minute window between moving tree shadows. When it arrived I loaded holders into the camera, metered the required exposure, and...

Got my two (2) hard-earned shutter clicks for the day.

The first as metered. The second slightly overexposed to support the shadows in case I made an error while metering.

Ken

P.S. Lots of strange looks from the occasional passing car, but no public seminars today. Too early for anyone to be out on a Sunday morning, I guess.
    Thursday, hiked 9 miles and gained 2,300 vertical feet. I was carrying my 45N-2, 5 lenses on boards, 6 holders and about 1.5 liters of water in my new Lowe Pro 15L AW. I got to the lake, waited about 40 minutes for the wind to calm down, shot one holder of Rollei IR400 and called it good.

Some days I shoot one photo, other days over a thousand. But it is a great life to live daily, the photographic one. Between the time I posted the reply about 45K images and now, my wife and I took a drive up a 14 mile 4wd drive road, hiked from 10,150 feet to 12,400 in 3.6 miles, put a camera with an underwater housing in a lake filled with golden trout and nailed a last minute request for a fly fishing article.....

......film and photography are alive and well, good night...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, I'm walking on the path by the side of Bow Lake that takes you to Bow falls, a while ago. Lots of people. ( Banff Jasper Highway, Banff Park in Canada. )

Most of the people I pass have digital somethings with them. 20 years ago a guy with a Rolleiflex wouldn't have mattered a whit, but today I feel just a little out of place. A half dozen people have asked me if I can still get film for the thing. "Yes!" I say.

Behind a little group of trees with a nice view of the glacier there is an old guy, maybe even as old as myself with a Rolleiflex, like mine, and he's setting it up on a tripod.

He sees me and my Rolleiflex; then on cue we both say together in perfect unison......."Can you still get film for that?"

"No!" we cry, again in unison. "They don't make it any more!"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thursday, hiked 9 miles and gained 2,300 vertical feet. I was carrying my 45N-2, 5 lenses ...
    ......film and photography are alive and well, good night...
    Thanks for the story PKM-25...

Got the water running and about to tray process six sheets of TMY-2 family shots...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe we should start a story-telling thread where people could simply recount their photographic adventures. Where they went and why. How they got here. What they photographed. What worked. What messed up. What fun they had either way.

I'd bet everyone has some interesting stories every weekend. At least it would be a positive thread. I think...

Ken

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin