Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 804

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Does film have a future?

I'm kicking myself for not saving it, but I read in a discussion somewhere, someone saying that shooting film was a losing proposition because, eventually, film would disappear. I always thought that film would always exist. Yes, my notion may be a little deranged, but I thought there would always be a market for film, a niche market but a market nonetheless. I like digital, but I love shooting film, and I would hate to see it go away. Does film have a future?

(I searched but I couldn't find a discussion on this topic. Feel free to delete this if there is already talk of this somewhere here or to repost elsewhere if it doesn't belong here. Thanks.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is one of the oldest, most-well-beaten-dead-horses on APUG. Short answer, yes, film has a future. Long answer, it depends on the type of film. There may not be a future for color negative film. There is probably a very limited future already for color transparency (slide) film. Black-and-white film is much easier to manufacture in small volumes; it can survive even if the market continues to contract. So if you are interested in shooting film, just keep on doing it and don't worry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To ask a question like this on a forum that's devoted entirely to film photography is like walking into a church and enquiring where the nearest mosque is.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Long answer, it depends on the type of film. So if you are interested in shooting film, just keep on doing it and don't worry.
    I don't know if, by this, you're also referring to the format. I, like you, it seems, shoot LF. I mean, I'm doing it more and more and would hate to see this stop or to switch to digital backs and all that. More than in my SLR, LF is something I love doing on film, color, transparency, or BW. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    (I searched but I couldn't find a discussion on this topic. Feel free to delete this if there is already talk of this somewhere here or to repost elsewhere if it doesn't belong here. Thanks.)
    http://www.apug.org/forums/google.ph...921j1772421j11

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Brian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pleasure. Happy reading!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For such an antiquated and redundant technology the prices and demand for film cameras doesn't seem to have subsided much.

I suspect the word hasn't gotten out there yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    I don't know if, by this, you're also referring to the format. I, like you, it seems, shoot LF. I mean, I'm doing it more and more and would hate to see this stop or to switch to digital backs and all that. More than in my SLR, LF is something I love doing on film, color, transparency, or BW. Thanks.
    I'm talking in general. Color film production in other-than-35mm formats is highly dependent on motion picture film consumption. If/when film production in digital passes a critical-mass point, it will be no longer cost-effective to produce color emulsions. Part of the problem is that being able to sustain quality control for color film requires higher volume than b/w does. If you don't have the volume, the quality drops, and then you have a much higher loss at the plant, increasing costs, which then drives sales volume even lower.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep. Deadest horse on the site.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin