Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,705   Online: 1235

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HYDROQUINONE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HYDROQUINONE

Just an FYI - There has been an unknown recent radical jump in the 'wholesale' cost of Hydroqinone.

10mo ago the agent was less than 4$ a pound. In that time there has been a 250%+ increase.
    Unlike other photo developing agents HQ is in many other industry applications:
    Tires
    Cosmetics
    Flat-screen TVs
    ALL photo dev solutions.
    Last edited by dr5chrome; 08-16-2012 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    ALL photo dev solutions.
    Except Xtol, if I remember correctly.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There has been either a big jump in price or a decrease in availability of many photographic chemicals in the last year. HQ is just one of them. Much of the US supply came from Texas Eastman which is probably scaling way back.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Except Xtol, if I remember correctly.
    Correct. No HQ in there. XTOL is a Dimezone-Ascorbate developer. Rodinal, D23, Perceptol and other formulas don't contain HQ either. Even D76 can be altered slightly and made to work the same without HQ (Haist version). Print developers are another matter. HQ in pretty much everything.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Michael

could you post the formula for D76 without HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Correct. No HQ in there. XTOL is a Dimezone-Ascorbate developer. Rodinal, D23, Perceptol and other formulas don't contain HQ either. Even D76 can be altered slightly and made to work the same without HQ (Haist version). Print developers are another matter. HQ in pretty much everything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..Im getting the quake in Japan - but there are other big manufactures in China. Given there are other uses other than 'photo' [maybe bigger], I cant see a 250% jump as justified. If we though we have seen sticker-shock, just wait till this hits the pike. ..just me: I use 100lbs a year. dw

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There has been either a big jump in price or a decrease in availability of many photographic chemicals in the last year. HQ is just one of them. Much of the US supply came from Texas Eastman which is probably scaling way back.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps if Kodak makes Hydroquinone themselves, Kodak products will not see a huge jump?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    ..Im getting the quake in Japan - but there are other big manufactures in China. Given there are other uses other than 'photo' [maybe bigger], I cant see a 250% jump as justified. If we though we have seen sticker-shock, just wait till this hits the pike. ..just me: I use 100lbs a year. dw
    IIRC, Kodak spun off Texas Eastman years ago so that is no assurance.

My information comes from companies making chemicals in the US. Hypo no longer ships in tank car lots, but in carboys due to decreased demand. This goes for several other chemicals including some members of the Phenidone family. There is a thread on this here on APUB about 2 months ago.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Michael

could you post the formula for D76 without HQ?
    You cannot just substitute ascorbic acid for hydroquinone. As has been stated many times on APUG the resemblence between these two chemicals is only superficial. Xtol is probably the closest ascorbic acid analog for for D-76 after all the correct adjustments to the formula have been made. Search on APUG for the formula which has been posted on more than one occasion.

There is also the Haist modification to D-76 which eliminates the hydroquinone and increases the metol content slightly. It is referred to as D-76H and is used just like D-76. Note that the name uses a captal H since there is another completely different version of D-76 referred to as D-76h.

D-76H

water (125°F) 750ml
    metol 2.5g
    sodium sulfite (anhydrous) 100g
    borax (decahydrate) 2.0g
    water to make 1 liter

The version above is used as a one shot either FS or 1+1.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-16-2012 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was not suggesting replacing HQ with ascorbic acid in any formula. I've stated many times on here I do not believe in simple substitution formulas. Once something is changed, the entire formula needs to be looked at and possibly rebalanced, or scrapped.

Bob - the formula Gerald posted for the Haist version of D76 (D-76H) is correct. The formula is the same as D-76 except the HQ is eliminated and the Metol is increased to 2.5g. Image characteristics are said to be virtually identical. As for its capacity compared to regular D-76, I cannot say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin