Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,014   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak worked really hard to make and market digital cameras from the start. They just could not get a popular design and the other companies could put out many more designs even faster.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was clear to us right from the start, that camera sales weren't going to make enough money to sustain the company which was based on the sales of consumables. PhotoCD and on-line photo services were an attempt to get consumables. Ink jet printer inks have done well for Epson and HP, but Kodak was late to enter the game because they were pushing dye sublimation printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    What's a newspaper?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeech View Post
    What's a newspaper?
    An analog news delivery device rapidly being replaced by digital delivery on the web.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak did try to use DVDs and CDs as consumables, but they seriously mis-estimated the price curve of these products. They lost $$.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak did try to use DVDs and CDs as consumables, but they seriously mis-estimated the price curve of these products. They lost $$.

PE
    I used to buy Kodak VHS tapes!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I think there are many reasons (most of which have been outlined here) but additionally to those like me who started photography in the 1970s or before, "photography" was usually associated in some way with Kodak, Ilford, Agfa and a few others. Whatever brand of camera/lens you might buy, you'd probably use one of their products to shoot or print on. All of a sudden, the advent of digital cameras meant that photography became the domain of Sony, HP, Samsung, Panasonic and a wealth of others plus the computer and software people. Many of the results of these never got as far as being printed, so the materials market probably shrunk dramatically (my guess). Ilford and Agfa hit the doldrums some time ago and Kodak are a case of 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall'. I find it hard to see how Kodak could ever have competed when the photography market was suddenly thrown wide open to so many electronic giants. Perhaps if they'd realised the potential of the digital still camera they'd invented much earlier and invested a huge amount of money into patent protected development, they might have stolen a march on their competitors, but I suspect that would have been temporary. Perhaps diversification would have been the answer, as with Fuji, so that we could now be tucking into bags of Kodak Crisps (OK, 'chips' to those in the US).
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I used to buy Kodak VHS tapes!
    However, this same VHS tape was never suitable for production purposes because it stretched too much. This could mean that after several uses, a 1 hour program might run over by as much as 30 seconds (IIRC). The big networks never used it, and thus it was an amateur product only. Eventually, it died.

PE

Shooter
    127 Format
    Opinions...

1) The major US Economic Depression must have had some impact.

2) Kodak abandoned film advertising and promotion. Adding fuel to the perception that, "no one makes (or uses) film any more".

3) Kodak should have bought Adobe

4) Kodak should have competed with Xerox in the early days and owned that "imaging" market.

5) Kodak doesn't realize they are in the industrial coating business, not the "picture" business. They should have leveraged those coating capabilities into new products beyond photography.

* Imagine if Kodak invented a way to coat automobiles and eliminate liquid paint and all the associated hazards *
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Opinions...

1) The major US Economic Depression must have had some impact.
    I think that over the last 80 years Kodak had recovered quite nicely from that.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin