Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,650   Posts: 1,481,299   Online: 831

Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Last year I switched dentist. My former dentist - a very good one but not near where I live - used a traditional X-Ray machine. He developed the tiny film in a machine which he had in the studio itself. He inserted his hands in some sort of light-tight bellow and made the "baths" in there. In less than 5 minutes, IIRC, the X-ray was ready for the light board. He didn't have an orthopanoramic X-Ray machine, just the normal one which can take pictures of 1, or 2, maybe 3 teeth. The entire process was I'd say very fast and practical.

My present dentist - near where I live, I walk to its practice - is a technology geek. He's got a digital X-Ray and he's got a laser drill as well (that's impressive. Star Wars on your molar). When I asked him why did he install a digital X-Ray machine IIRC he answered digital was faster and more practical and maybe he added digital requires a lesser dose of X-ray.

In hospital practice I suppose digital X-ray is practical because the patient file is now mainly digital. A digital X-ray "matches" with a digital TAC or a digital echography and all the other information. Saves cabinet space and makes all patient file more transmissible. I presume they can also be faked easily in case of judiciary enquiry
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's another good point. Lower doses of radiation. That alone is enough for me to avoid traditional X-rays.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A friend of mine is studying radiology; they're taught the analogue way and do everything with traditional x-ray film. We don't live in a developing country either.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    A friend of mine is studying radiology; they're taught the analogue way and do everything with traditional x-ray film. We don't live in a developing country either.
    Shanghai China, where I live, has digital X-Rays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Simon Galley from Ilford:

If I promise to buy more HP5+, will you buy Kodak for us, please?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Agreed.

It is simply about reaching the needed threshold for the job at hand.

One of the biggest problems of many systems for me, is that there is too many ways to manipulate data and more detail than necessary becomes required input. I'm not being specific to photography but the logic applies there too.
    My dentist converted to digital Xray... and he diagnosed a cracked tooth that he wouldn't have been able to with film due to the cool software manipulations. What's more, he could email the digital images (xray and intraoral digital pictures) to the insurance compnay for approval... making it possible to fix the problem before it got to a bigger problem. So what is the "needed threshold"? I totally agree, though, that sometimes the obvious threshold is exceeded just because it can be done. This is not the case with digital dentistry in my opinion, though. Digital dentistry seems to increase the quality of health care.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    In hospital practice I suppose digital X-ray is practical because the patient file is now mainly digital.
    When I have my teeth photographed by traditional X-ray, the dental nurse processes the film and has it scanned in a matter of minutes. I get to see it on the computer screen whilst still sitting in the chair. And they get to save it in a digital file with all of my other data.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What's more, he could email the digital images (xray and intraoral digital pictures) to the insurance compnay for approval.
    Luckilly, we don't have to bother with that nonsense!

And I must post a link to this from The Simpsons before someone else does: http://deadhomersociety.files.wordpr...humb.png?w=582

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... so can they do software "enhancements" to that scanned image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    When I have my teeth photographed by traditional X-ray, the dental nurse processes the film and has it scanned in a matter of minutes. I get to see it on the computer screen whilst still sitting in the chair. And they get to save it in a digital file with all of my other data.

Luckilly, we don't have to bother with that nonsense!

And I must post a link to this from The Simpsons before someone else does: http://deadhomersociety.files.wordpr...humb.png?w=582

Steve.
    There are people alive because of the advances in X-rays due to it going digital. You can be against progress all you want, but the time may come when you will quickly backpedal and demand a digital image so that your doctor has the best information available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I also feel tempted to post a very famous X-ray which was certainly taken during the analogue age. Very famous.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin