Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,917   Online: 865

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Benoît99 View Post
    Whatever happened to plain talk? This is what I understand from the OP:

1. Kodak's movie and still film is all made in the same factory, which Kodak is not selling.

2. Kodak is selling its consumer and professional still film marketing and distribution business.

3. Kodak "expects" the buyer of the film business buyer to conclude a contract with Kodak under which Kodak will manufacture film for the buyer, who will market and distribute it.

Is my understanding correct? What happens if the buyer decides to find another film manufacturer?
    Contract will probably be worded to preclude that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Whatever happened to plain talk?"

That is exactly what I thought. Plain English please without the obfuscation that is all too prevalent today.

obfuscate[ ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt ]

verb (used with object) ob·fus·cat·ed, ob·fus·cat·ing.

1. to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.

2. to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.

3. to darken.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems as if they want to wash their hands of all the packaging and distributing and marketing garbage and just concentrate on making the film product. This could be a good thing.

If I were a wealthy entrepreneur I'd buy the business, be the 'middle man' and sell the film to Fuji, Foma, Ilford, Adox, Freestyle etc. There would be no more KODAK BRAND film, but it will say "film manufactured in Rochester, USA by Kodak" or something like that and those guys can come up with their own names for the emulsions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Making the film is what they do best. The rest is what they do very poorly. Could be a win/win to hand that off to someone who can do it better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Thanks Prof_Pixel it's unusual to hve such honesty from ex Kodak employees on this forum.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    That may be the case but others add layers of unfounded nothingness.

Ian
    i couldn't agree with you more ian ...

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Making the film is what they do best. The rest is what they do very poorly. Could be a win/win to hand that off to someone who can do it better.
    Funny, but they used to be geniuses at branding and marketing. I remember, as a 9-year-old kid, seeing an ad during the Andy Williams show that made me feel guilty if I used anything but Kodak film to photograph my daughter's college graduation.

It's just a bunch of shitheads running the place now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So essentially it sounds to me like Kodak wants to sell off their highly productive and very active film sales and marketing division.

Wow, my wife is a programmer, she could do the the web page work, if I work at it too and hit the big pro-photographer trade shows I could seemingly double Kodak's marketing efforts, sales should skyrocket.

WTF Kodak, wish I could sell something that doesn't exist for big bucks and keep the cash cow too.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If I were a wealthy entrepreneur I'd buy the business, be the 'middle man' and sell the film to Fuji, Foma, Ilford, Adox, Freestyle etc. There would be no more KODAK BRAND film, but it will say "film manufactured in Rochester, USA by Kodak" or something like that and those guys can come up with their own names for the emulsions.
    I think what Kodak is about is something including the brand, which in the film world is still quite an asset.

I think they are looking for somebody who buys the Kodak brand and cares about all the marketing and distribution both as Kodak Portra, Ektar etc. and, in addition to that, to whomever else wants to license the product and sell it under their own brand, i.e. firms like Agfaphoto, or distribution chains, shops etc. like Freestyle, and maybe people like Ilford or Adox who could leverage their distribution network but would not want embark in the big business of the Kodak brand.

They would keep the production, and therefore the quality, under control and so they would run no reputation risk in selling the Kodak brand for still film while maintaining full operation for the Kodak motion picture film.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I think what Kodak is about is something including the brand, which in the film world is still quite an asset.

I think they are looking for somebody who buys the Kodak brand and cares about all the marketing and distribution both as Kodak Portra, Ektar etc. and, in addition to that, to whomever else wants to license the product and sell it under their own brand, i.e. firms like Agfaphoto, or distribution chains, shops etc. like Freestyle, and maybe people like Ilford or Adox who could leverage their distribution network but would not want embark in the big business of the Kodak brand.

They would keep the production, and therefore the quality, under control and so they would run no reputation risk in selling the Kodak brand for still film while maintaining full operation for the Kodak motion picture film.
    Who wants to buy into a business that has a single supplier? A supplier that is literally on death's door? Seems suicidal to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Who wants to buy into a business that has a single supplier? A supplier that is literally on death's door? Seems suicidal to me.
    That's what I was wondering. In their present state, they cannot offer any guarantees for continuous supply of product.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin