Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,398   Online: 736

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    That's what "Rollei" does with film which is produced by Agfa (that's not AgfaPhoto, but "real" film producer Agfa). Agfa makes the manufacturing, and "Rollei" conducts the "business", which is all operations beyond manufacturing.

On a smaller scale, that's what AgfaPhoto does. Fujifilm makes the film and AgfaPhoto operates the business.

On another and larger example, that's what Vivitar always did. They never manufactured anything. They only conducted the "business". Another example is Hama and there are many others.

The problem here is to find somebody who thinks film as a business can be operated profitably.

Kodak as a film manufacturer is not on death's door IF film remains profitable as it is at the moment.

Even if the company does not exit from Chapter 11 and goes into full-fledged bankruptcy procedures (Chapter 7) IF film production remains profitable and maintains a profitable "outlook" then the creditors will acquire the property of the entire assets of Kodak and will sell film production to somebody (the obvious assumption being that where there is a profit there is a buyer).

When a company goes bankrupt what goes lost is risk capital (shareholder's money). In the US case maybe other stakeholders lose money (employees having some health insurance or so).

Brand and manufacture, if profitable, can survive no problem. I can cite Cirio, Parmalat and Alitalia as recent cases in Italy (Alitalia being a bit more complicated).

"Bankruptcy" means that creditors take the barn and sell it (or its saleable parts) to recover their money. Doesn't mean that the barn is shut down.

IF film production is profitable and if it maintains a profitable "perspective" it is certain that it will survive even if Kodak does not emerge from Chapter 11.

Seen from a film consumer standpoint the problem is not whether Kodak exits Chapter 11 successfully (which is irrelevant). The problem is whether film production is profitable and if an investor thinks that it is going to remain profitable in the long run.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 09-08-2012 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Who wants to buy into a business that has a single supplier? A supplier that is literally on death's door? Seems suicidal to me.
    Every single McDonalds franchisee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I am going to be obscure and just say that there are rumors going around about changes at Fuji. If true they are profound!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I am going to be obscure and just say that there are rumors going around about changes at Fuji. If true they are profound!

PE
    If they aren't the rumours about getting completely rid of E6 then pray tell...

Tim

p.s. or is it this one?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/fuji...d-of-the-year/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    Actually McD's has many suppliers but a common gathering and distribution system. There's a lot more than one ranch providing them Kanga.. oops, horse.. oops again, oh yeah beef, that's what I meant.

My guess is that since Kodak isn't selling the production of film they are also not selling the trademark for or the formula and instructions on how to make Tri-X or Portra or ...

That puts Kodak in the position of being the only "ranch" capable of supplying the "beef".

No thanks, I'll pass on that bit of wishful business dreaming.

But if Kodak sells all the formulas, rights to manufacture, trademarks, etc... and the new company can say hire Ilford to make Tri-X and Fujifilm to make Portra if they please, then we're back closer to reality.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    McDonald's is on death's door?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    McDonald's is on death's door?
    No. More like the cause of it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    These rumors are shocking PE. I mean REALLY shocking. It seems that the world of film is in a very very tumultuous time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to continue to pull this thread way of topic but- Is there something else with Fuji besides them giving up motion picture film?....And I can only shoot film and hope the best for Kodak. This is all crazy. If you call the nice guys at Kodak Professional, they don't have a the slightest idea of what is happening or going to happen in terms of the sale.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin