Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 913

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    As there seems to be confusion about the "silver rhich" claim we make for Silvermax I would like to point out again what has been actually claimed and why.

In our product description for Silvermax we claim that it has more silver than comparable films and that this leads to a higher DMAX and the possibility to get an extended copy range out of it if developed in Silvermax developer.

This is all true.

If you manufacture a film there are certain things you can do to get the desired characteristics. It starts with making the emulsion and it "ends" with the amount of emulsion you apply per sqm. The more you apply, the higher is the silver content and the higher will be the DMAX which the film can build up (same emulsions compared with each other).
    So if you don´t object the costs, you can make a "better" film this way if there wouldn´t be an affect on the contrast as well.
    Your contrast is also increasing and this limits you in using this as a means of achiving a superior quality.

The aim when manufacturing this film was to achieve a better DMAX on the clear base so the film would be good for reversal processing but not putting too much so it can also be used as a regular negative film.

As said before it is based on Agfa technology and very similar to APX but on a clear base and with a thicker coating (silver rhich).
    The spectral sensitivity is the same as identical sensitizers were used (up).
    So compared to APX you will get more DMAX and a slightly higher contrast apart ofcourse from the different base.
    This is why we formulated the Silvermax developer with it. This developer is soft working similar to our ADOTECH developer and optimized for Silvermax.
    If you use both you get instantly very good results and (hopefully) can see the difference to "normal" fims.
    While "normal" in this context means a film designed as a negative film with just as much coating (silver cotent) as nevessary to achive good DMAX for regular printing work.

Since all of this is true and since we do feel that we made a very good film here I really see no point why one should be upset about the claim we made.
    We are not saying that other films are inferior.
    The film is not outrageously priced and what we claim is what <b>differs</b> this film from others.

Even though I said all of this before I think it is good to repeat as well:

- The introduction of this film has nothing to do with what happened at Fotokemikas. The crossing of the timeline is coincidence.
    - This film is something special and not our replacement for CHS films
    - The fact that we bring this expensive to manufacture film (the clear base allone is 5 times as expensive than PET base) now in 35mm only does not mean that we are not working on other films which then shall be made available in other formats

Have fun taking pictures on whichever film you prefer ;-)

Mirko

Shooter
    35mm
    Well explained, Mirko and yes based on the price I saw that was quoted it is very competitively priced. Best of luck with sales. We need companies to develop such products

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think we should also add: ALL HAIL THE NEW SCALA!Which is excellent news.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    I think we should also add: ALL HAIL THE NEW SCALA!Which is excellent news.
    You still got Agfa Scala 200x http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme-f...lide-film.html Happy New Year and thanks for trashing the thread I started. Next time I will remember where the kids hang out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    - The fact that we bring this expensive to manufacture film (the clear base allone is 5 times as expensive than PET base) now in 35mm only does not mean that we are not working on other films which then shall be made available in other formats

Mirko
    Mirko, having just ordered a good number of rolls of 35mm, your last point leads me to hope for bulk 35mm and 16mm film, and there are others looking for 120 and larger sizes from what I have read in this thread. I hope sales of ADOX products are such that these other sizes come to fruition.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ADOX SILVERMAX: Please share a D Log E curve.

It would save a lot of writing if you would just share a D vs LogE curve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Would you look at that!

Compare that spectral sensitivity to the APX 100 and Scala. It's EXACTLY the same.
    Yes, Thomas, it is the same.
    APX 100 and Scala 200X have the same spectral sensivity. That has never been a secret. Agfa has published the data, and all photographers who have used both films and compared them have seen it.
    Shoot the Kodak colour test chart with both films and you see immediately that the colour transfer to grey tones is identical.
    Not surprising as Scala 200X is based on the APX 100 emulsion.

And I've done that recently in my lab with the Silvermax film and compared it to Scala and APX, and the spectral sensivity results of the three films are identical.
    My test results so far: The overall performance of Silvermax is very close to the APX 100 (good news for photographers who like APX 100), and close to Scala 200X, if the film is reversal processed.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New at Photokina 2012: ADOX SILVERMAX 35mm film 135/36

Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Yes, Thomas, it is the same.
    APX 100 and Scala 200X have the same spectral sensivity. That has never been a secret. Agfa has published the data, and all photographers who have used both films and compared them have seen it.
    Shoot the Kodak colour test chart with both films and you see immediately that the colour transfer to grey tones is identical.
    Not surprising as Scala 200X is based on the APX 100 emulsion.

And I've done that recently in my lab with the Silvermax film and compared it to Scala and APX, and the spectral sensivity results of the three films are identical.
    My test results so far: The overall performance of Silvermax is very close to the APX 100 (good news for photographers who like APX 100), and close to Scala 200X, if the film is reversal processed.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Thanks, Henning.

I was comparing APX100/Scala spectral sensitivity to that of the chart of the new film (post previous to mine). I knew that APX100 and Scala were identical from that perspective.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    You still got Agfa Scala 200x http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme-f...lide-film.html Happy New Year and thanks for trashing the thread I started. Next time I will remember where the kids hang out.
    That's old stock.

Edit: boo-hoo. It actually made Mirko come out and explain what the real point of "silver rich" instead of letting the usual half-truths hang around.

Boo-double-hoo.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My bad, You are probably right.

Henning might be able to share some more info as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin