Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,276   Online: 774

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: New at Photokina 2012: ADOX SILVERMAX 35mm film 135/36

Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post

My test results so far: The overall performance of Silvermax is very close to the APX 100 (good news for photographers who like APX 100),
    Realizing that you probably were not testing with Rodinal, let me ask for an educated guess about performance with Rodinal.

Could I shoot it like APX 100 and develop in Rodinal and get "almost" like old times?

Ok, so I'm a Luddite. Shoot me. After all, I still use film, so I must be crazy. (But look at the company I keep.)

It is kind of an interesting prospect to think about to use one film for old school and new. TMax gives us 14 stops, but sometimes it's honest to the point of being brutal.

This film might play both roles by changing developer. The specialized developer for long range and the old school developer for the archaic.

I gotta get some.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    My bad, You are probably right.

Henning might be able to share some more info as well.
    Well yes, the Agfa Scala 200X currently sold is original material from the last production run made 2005 in the Agfa plant in Leverkusen, Germany.
    It is the same with the current sold AgfaPhoto APX 100: Also original material from the last production run made 2005 in the Agfa plant in Leverkusen, Germany.
    In both cases the film stock has been frozen, and due to demand the frozen stock is continuously defrosted and cut, spooled and distributed by Lupus Imaging in Germany.
    Due to Mirko Böddecker

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme-f...lide-film.html

they expect Scala 200X stock to last until 2017.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Realizing that you probably were not testing with Rodinal, let me ask for an educated guess about performance with Rodinal.

Could I shoot it like APX 100 and develop in Rodinal and get "almost" like old times?
    Hello Michael,

so far I have not tested this film with Rodinal.

But here are the recommendations from Adox:

Starzeiten für andere Filmentwickler bei 20°C:

ADONAL/Rodinal 1+25: 8 Min.
    ADONAL/Rodinal 1+50: 12 Min.
    ATOMAL: 8-10 Min.
    D 76/ID 11: 9 Min.
    HC-110: 7 Min.
    FX-39: 8 Min.
    XTOL: 7 Min.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New at Photokina 2012: ADOX SILVERMAX 35mm film 135/36

Hello Michael,

so far I have not tested this film with Rodinal.

But here are the recommendations from Adox:

Starzeiten für andere Filmentwickler bei 20°C:

ADONAL/Rodinal 1+25: 8 Min.
    ADONAL/Rodinal 1+50: 12 Min.
    ATOMAL: 8-10 Min.
    D 76/ID 11: 9 Min.
    HC-110: 7 Min.
    FX-39: 8 Min.
    XTOL: 7 Min.

Best regards,
    Henning
    APX100 times...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    APX100 times...
    Well, it depends.....
    The original Agfa recommendations (data sheet) for Rodinal 1+50 for example are 12:30 Min. for a Gamma of 0,55; 14:30 Min. for a Gamma of 0,60; and 17:00 minutes for a Gamma of 0,65.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    As someone who has never tried APX, scala or otherwise, I am just happy that there is a new film coming out. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I am very much looking forward to trying out this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it depends.....
    The original Agfa recommendations (data sheet) for Rodinal 1+50 for example are 12:30 Min. for a Gamma of 0,55; 14:30 Min. for a Gamma of 0,60; and 17:00 minutes for a Gamma of 0,65.

Best regards,
    Henning
    No news there. Of course developing time alters contrast. That would be true for the newer recommendations from Agfa, (but perhaps not published), and film and developer combinations in general, regardless of manufacture.

In this sheet - Click link - Agfa give only the processing starting times for γ 0.65, which is, incidentally, 17 minutes at 1+50 dilution of Rodinal, like you suggest above.

I think the developing times in combination with the spectral sensitivity being identical to Agfa's published information for APX 100 is just further evidence of one of two things:
    1. Either ADOX was very lazy in the way they published their information, and simply copied Agfa's numbers for APX 100, hoping nobody would notice.
    2. It is APX 100.

All we need now is a film characteristic curve, lain right next to one of the APX 100 to cement that this is in fact nothing other than APX 100 film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...All we need now is a film characteristic curve, lain right next to one of the APX 100 to cement that this is in fact nothing other than APX 100 film.
    Well, I would postulate that the change in substrate negates the claim that it's "nothing other than APX 100" right off the bat. If they were to put it in boxes that said APX 100 on the side there would be a hue and cry to that effect from the peanut gallery immediately. ("Ewweeee!! That's not APX 100! It's got that weird base! They used a different Antihalation layer for it! The Sirens of Titan will bounce off it differently!" Ya-da ya-da ya-da.)

But I'll wager one could safely say that it is "substantially" APX 100, which is exactly what I want. Maybe the emulsion is a little thicker for the extra DMax Mirko mentions. Maybe not. But if it's 95% of APX 100, compared to 0% of APX 100 that's available except for a few rolls in my freezer, then I'm good with that.

But I still want 120 size later.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    2. It is APX 100.
    it seems Mirko has to repeat himself endlessly:

Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    As said before it is based on Agfa technology and very similar to APX but on a clear base and with a thicker coating (silver rhich).
    The spectral sensitivity is the same as identical sensitizers were used (up).
    So compared to APX you will get more DMAX and a slightly higher contrast apart ofcourse from the different base.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To play the devils (thomas ) advocate here, clear acetate base was used for Scala and tinted acetate base for APX both are pretty much the same film. Foto Impex still sells both films. As has been mentioned quiet often manufactured or made by Inoviscoat only means that more than 50% of added value has to come from them nothing more and nothing less. If it were a new emulsion it would be available in different sizes and not in 35mm only. The new Super 8 Film could be rebadged APX as well, Wittner Kinotechnik sells APX 100 in Super8 Cartridges.

The introduction of Silvermax is still a good thing in my opinion, the internet is full of threads about this film creating propaganda for film and countering the effect of the film is dead song. So still congratulation and a big thank you to Mirko and his crew.

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin