Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,661   Online: 868

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's 125 micron
    This is corect.
    I got mixed up with 135/36 ;-)

If Ilford was using the same base for their 3200 Rollfilm it could be because this product has only limited shelve life.
    If you roll 125 micron triacetate wthout anti curling layer on the backside onto a 120 core and keep it wound for over a year you expirience terrible curl of the film after development. At least that´s the expirience we have.
    With the 3200 ASA product this either might not have occured because of a fast supply chain or because Ilford uses a kind of double sided substrated TAC with NC on both formats. If this was obtainable (double side substrated TAC) it could actually be something interesting to look at for future small volume runs. For Silvermax this option did not exist as the old stock base we used up was only substrated on one side.

Some of you people really have very deep inside knowledge.
    It´s a pleasure to hang out here but now I have Photokina meetings again ;-)

Mirko

PS 1.000 rolls of Silvermax have been sold the past 3 days. Now we are almost out. We limit sales now to 1 roll per person at the trade show booth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any information about when this film might be available in the UK?
    (ordering from Fotoimpex.de is rather expensive once surcharges and delivery are factored in)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This calls for a little math.

They sold 1000 rolls and are almost out.

1000 rolls (.555ft2/roll) is 450 linear feet of film 4 feet wide.

Let's assume they coat very, very slowly say 100ft/minute. That is 4.5 minutes of coating time.

Is this a business?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I believe Mirko means that he brought 1,000 rolls of film to Photokina to sell and have almost sold out of the 1,000 rolls they made avail for purchase at the camera show....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I believe Mirko means that he brought 1,000 rolls of film to Photokina to sell and have almost sold out of the 1,000 rolls they made avail for purchase at the camera show....
    That was my impression, too. I doubt they only coated enough to make 1K rolls. I can't imagine you could fire up the line for that small a volume. If you could then by golly I'm gonna start me a boutique film business.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Mirko said that they expect the coated batch to last 5 years.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    This calls for a little math.

They sold 1000 rolls and are almost out.

1000 rolls (.555ft2/roll) is 450 linear feet of film 4 feet wide.

Let's assume they coat very, very slowly say 100ft/minute. That is 4.5 minutes of coating time.

Is this a business?
    Perhaps not for the Kodak of old. The one depicted in your excellent book. (Which I purchased.)

But Mirko has said directly that his intentionally small factory "can make quantities of a few thousand rolls of film at about 3-5 USD per roll", with some restrictions. (See his post here.) This is likely a glimpse into the longer term future of film manufacturing. And certainly a glimpse into the future of any so-called artisan films.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I, like most AgX photographers, am trying to determine if film will be manufactured 10 years from now and beyond.

I was hoping that Mirko was a possibility. I didn't fully realize that this was a one time effort that is not sustainable.

I was also hoping they would substantiate the claims with a simple D LogE curve. I don't know how they can make the claims without showing a characteristic curve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=laser;1396886
    I was hoping that Mirko was a possibility. I didn't fully realize that this was a one time effort that is not sustainable.
    [/QUOTE]

Silvermax is possibly a one time effort, because they apparently are using up left over clear acetate base from Agfa. They have other films in the pipeline, which they have stated several times already.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Dominik, sorry, but I can't find any statement on the Maco website and the RPX data sheets that RPX is identical to the Kentmere films.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Rollei RPX and Kentmere Films are the same, everybody knows it. That the RPX was a new film was one of the (last) fairy tales of Hartmuth Schroeder in red and blue letters..... Maco now officialy mentions itself that it is the same film.

But Silvermax is really a new film, I already ordered one. I liked Scala very much, so let's see how it will be in Wehner process. The reports are sounding very good

Thomas

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin