Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,707   Online: 1243

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    im not sure what the point is of making motion picture film
    if none of the studios want to shoot on film ...
    hopefully kodak can make a go of it ...
    John:

I don't think the problem is with studios not wanting to shoot on film. There still seems to be a fair number of productions shot using film.

The problem is that the distributors don't want to use film to distribute the movie. And it is the millions of feet of film used for release prints that are/were the source of profits for Kodak and Fuji.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kuparikettu View Post
    On Cinematography.com, cinematographer John Holland comments:
    "the story about Fuji is very true",
    "'Seriously John? You have reliable word on this?' Yes very reliable , Fuji arnt going to say anything for a few weeks ."
    "'Yes, but are they simply going to shut down the film plant, or are they going to sell it?' Far as i know its closed or closing the plant ."

On cml-film mailing list (cinematography.net), Kevin Phelan, Head of Post Production of LipSync Post comments as follows: "Yes it is true : Fuji cease making stock by December 31 st : all remaining stock in the UK will go to storage in Holland"
    I happen to be in the film industry.

while it's highly likely fuji is done, you site quotes from a third party, not fuji. While I'm familiar with cinematography.com, I've never heard of John or Lipsync post. Are these well-known reputable sources? It's kinda like saying "I heard over on apug that kodak sold their film business".
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I happen to be in the film industry.

while it's highly likely fuji is done, you site quotes from a third party, not fuji. While I'm familiar with cinematography.com, I've never heard of John or Lipsync post. Are these well-known reputable sources? It's kinda like saying "I heard over on apug that kodak sold their film business".
    Yes, you are correct, technically these are nothing but rumors as well, if just given by people who claim to have real sources. However, my little experience of the film industry here in Finland is that this kind of big things are known if they are going to really happen. That's because the connections within the industry are close and the amount of money in this business is so enormous. Take for example the post production plants, which might be exploring whether or not they should repair the telecine unit or upgrade to a better one. Or the machinery used to print digital intermediary on film? Usually some people know other people who do know, but who cannot confirm anything in public.

So yes, technically it is nothing but a rumor. But in my experience it's also quite rare for some people to come up with their own names and claim some rumor to be "very true" on some public forum they have been active for years unless they do have somewhat trustworthy sources.

But we'll see.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This could also be a UK only thing. The UK has been moving from Film for quite some time Filmhater number one is better known as BBC. All cited sources are from the UK John Holland, Lipsync Post and Deadline.com.
    Kuparikettu D.I., classic telecines and filmscanners will be used for quite some time in the future. DVD of old movies, Archives, film restoration etc... they all require one or all of these techniques.

I'll hope for the best

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some insights here into industry decision-making:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/mo....html?_r=1&hpw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over the past few years I've been back into photography, I've yet to encounter a rumor about discontinued film that did NOT turn out to be true. Sometimes the truth is even worse. Never has it turned out better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Some insights here into industry decision-making:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/mo....html?_r=1&hpw
    Thanks for that, CGW.

"'The photograph is literally an emanation of the referent,' the philosopher Roland Barthes wrote. 'From a real body, which was there, proceed radiations which ultimately touch me, who am here.' A film image is created by light that leaves a material trace of something that exists—existed—in real time and space. It’s in this sense that film becomes a witness to our existence."

At its most fundamental, what separates film from digital is just this provenance. A film image bears silent witness to the reality of the image depicted upon it.* It is this most important of film's qualities that we are losing.

[Edit: I think I may have just found my new signature line!]

Ken

* Please don't go there. It's irrelevent to the point being made...
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-10-2012 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Thanks for that, CGW.

"'The photograph is literally an emanation of the referent,' the philosopher Roland Barthes wrote. 'From a real body, which was there, proceed radiations which ultimately touch me, who am here.' A film image is created by light that leaves a material trace of something that exists—existed—in real time and space. It’s in this sense that film becomes a witness to our existence."

At its most fundamental, what separates film from digital is just this provenance. A film image bears silent witness to the reality of the image depicted upon it.* It is this most important of film's qualities that we are losing.

Ken

* Please don't go there. It's irrelevent to the point being made...
    You old fuddy duddy. Buy an iPhone already, and get with the in crowd.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the only images of me that survive were to be on an iPhone, it could never be said with certainty that I ever existed. But if you hold up to the light a glass plate negative which depicts my image, you will forever know of me something concrete and certain.*

Ken

* Remember everyone, asterisks are your friends...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin