Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 743

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji motion picture film products to be discontinued include "Color Positive Film, Color Negative Film, B&W Positive/Negative Film, Intermediate Film, Sound Recording Film, and High Contrast Panchromatic Film". However, "the company says it isn’t closing the entire motion picture department. It will continue to provide archive film stock (ETERNA-RDS, which won the Academy Scientific Engineering Award in 2012), lenses for shooting cameras and screening devices, media for data storage, digital data archive services and its on-set color management system (Image Processing System IS-100)."

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/fuji...ture-products/

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the link, meanwhile I am still waiting for a response to my mail from Fuji.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I do wonder though: How come the motion picture film is discontinued first? Is Fuji going to keep still photography film production longer than mp film production, or have they already killed it off and aren't just seeing the need to tell anyone...?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems that Fuji is not the last man standing as they have claimed several times but the first man falling.
    Maybe the stopped making mp films in order to help Kodak, very unlikely but one never knows.
    I also don't understand Fuji's decision after bringing out the Eterna Vivid line two years ago, it seems almost stupid to stop production now.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't forget the technology involved which will also be lost - remember how much Kodak's portra relies on their Vision technology? This can't be good news for Fuji's still film production/development...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The catharsis in film right now is almost unbearable. Adox notices everyone that they are exiting the business. Lucky is closing up shop for color film. Kodak is a walking corpse and now, Fujifilm. I always thought that Kodak would go belly up and hopefully allow Fujifilm to continue with making color film. Now it seems that it may be possible that both film giants meet their end simultaneously. Who would have thought that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RattyMouse: Adox just released a new film at photokina.

A few Adox films were hit by the demise of fotokemika, but as far as I know from various discussions online, Adox will keep produxing films.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe by discontinuing some of their cine films range that the demand is dropping for now that so many feature films are shot digitally, and film theatres are going digital,it's a commercial decision that may keep the company more financially viable, so it can carry on making still films .
    Ben

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Benji you can be sure that Fuji makes more money with MP Film than with still films.
    The Indian Market used quiet a lot of Fuji Film, many EU Films have started using Fujifilm instead of Kodak. A vast number of Movies are still shot and released on film, sure less than in the past but still a pretty high number. Maybe the Fuji stockholders pushed the company to make this rash decision, shooting with Redor other digicams is not necessaraly cheaper than shooting with Film, the release is cheaper unfortunately. I am still hoping for some hackers that will crack the digital movie thingy and show the world how vulnerable the digital distribution chain really is. Stupid Beancounters. End of rant

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having thought about this for a little longer, I've realized that this probably doesn't mean the imminent end of still films from them. The vast majority of the 35mm C-41 in stores now is either Fuji-branded or Fuji-made, so this is still enough (for now) to keep the coating machines running. My guess is that Fuji does not have one large coating machine (a la Kodak), but rather 2-3 moderate-sized ones. They've done the math, and have decided to shut down at least one machine, but to keep the other(s) running. My guess is that it didn't pay for them to put the significant amount of R&D in to remaster the chemical mixtures for the other machines, so they discontinued the stocks permanently.

What this does show, however, is that Fuji is a business just like Kodak (albeit a better run one), and they are no better than Kodak when it comes to keeping film around.

P.S. Harman, Foma, Fotoimpex, Orwo, etc. are all for-profit corporations as well. When they start losing money, you can bet that production lines will be cut.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin