Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 771

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji apparently ceasing motion picture film production -- what are the consequences?

It was only two days ago when I first read about the rumours of Fuji ceasing motion picture film production. Having read some comments on cinematography mailing lists and forums, it seems this isn't only a rumor. A few voices from within the motion picture industry have been confirming the rumor as valid.

Anyway, the interesting question then is "what are the consequences?" Is Fuji ceasing still film production as well? And if so, does this give an advantage to Kodak?

I guess nobody knows. But at least we can speculate, eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How can they keep making still film and still be profitable? Motion picture film must be several orders of magnitude higher than still. This can't be good news for anyone who shoots Fuji film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If one thing is for sure, commitment doesn't mean these days the same thing it meant before!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...ment-film.html

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    kuparikettu can you name other sources than deadline.com, which currently seems to be the only source other than forum reports based on this article.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    im not sure what the point is of making motion picture film
    if none of the studios want to shoot on film ...
    hopefully kodak can make a go of it ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Uncertainty is the defining characteristic of film photography.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    kuparikettu can you name other sources than deadline.com, which currently seems to be the only source other than forum reports based on this article.
    On Cinematography.com, cinematographer John Holland comments:
    "the story about Fuji is very true",
    "'Seriously John? You have reliable word on this?' Yes very reliable , Fuji arnt going to say anything for a few weeks ."
    "'Yes, but are they simply going to shut down the film plant, or are they going to sell it?' Far as i know its closed or closing the plant ."

On cml-film mailing list (cinematography.net), Kevin Phelan, Head of Post Production of LipSync Post comments as follows: "Yes it is true : Fuji cease making stock by December 31 st : all remaining stock in the UK will go to storage in Holland"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm guessing that Fujifilm saw the "writing on the wall" when Kodak made the first digital camera, and they took it seriously. The Japanese companies have always had a history of diversifying like mad, so of couse Fuji got into everything else it could, and kept the profits rolling in. Unlike Kodak, which kept spinning off successful branches and selling off good ideas. So in 2000 Fujifilm's revenue was 40% film, and 60% everything else. Now it's 1% film and 99% everthing else.

Fujifilm will, as they have said, continue to make film as long as even one person is using it, but it's going to be done on a small line. So they're going to exit movie film since the studios don't want to distribute actual film any longer, and probably run their still film lines intermittently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know about Fujifilm's volumes, but they may sell more motion picture film than still, but at what profit? Looking at the price of stuff like Provia 400X, I can't imagine the price per foot is anything like that for motion picture.

If they can give up motion picture, but stick with still, I'd consider that very encouraging that still volumes are actually still reasonably viable.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you kuparikettu. I've already read the post by John Holland but not the cinematography.net one.
    I am still waiting for a response from Fujifilm, they act very unprofessionaly imho.
    Eterna Vivid 160 and 500 are beautiful films I am sad to see them go, prefer them to Vision 3.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin