Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,618   Online: 743

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ya, and you thought you were pretty dang fancy and technologically-advanced when your dot matrix printer had a 24-pin head, didn't you? I know I did!
    Oooo, yeah! My two girls...

Dot Matrix was fast and good, which was just what I wanted sometimes. Daisy Wheel was much better looking. She took her time, but she was all about quality!
    Both were loud, though- it was no secret when they were doing it!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LX;

You, of course, knew Daisey Hand best, right?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I was just wondering if current film sales volume is really not suitable for old business models like Kodak and other big manufacturers. How many factories are making vinyl LP now? We as film users may be too spoiled with the old business models and demand the products to be same quality/price or variety/price ratio. And the manufacturers still operate with the same old way. Only one thing has changed: volume.
    They may need to come out with cheaper manufacturing process and/or compromise the quality, sell packages of DIY shoot-develop-print products, or whatever they did when people still taking pictures on glass plate, what do you think? $$$/roll?

Shooter
    127 Format
    As long as we have 2 or 3 color films things should be okay.

We really don't need 12 varieties from each maker.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, but we need 2-3 each of C41 and E6. In a pinch I could do with two of each. I'd pick Portra 400 and Ektar 100 for C41 and Provia 100 (since Astia is already gone) and 400, but I know most people would want Velvia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    As long as we have 2 or 3 color films things should be okay.

We really don't need 12 varieties from each maker.
    Portra 160, 400, Ektar 100.

Just please Kodak, or whoever takes over the distribution, give us those in bulk rolls!

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    LX;

You, of course, knew Daisey Hand best, right?

PE
    Well, sometimes I had to be quiet, y'know...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    I was just wondering if current film sales volume is really not suitable for old business models like Kodak and other big manufacturers.
    The volume varies greatly depending who and what you ask. If you want to know how much one would have to invest to keep it going, it's always billions and billions in volume and no sensible investor would cough up the huge pile of money required. If you talk about film sales, it's always a few million dollars and dropping which are just generally not worth doing it anyways. I wouldn't trust any number that I read online, and the official public Kodak reports even less.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The expectation are really quite different given a distinction between a private and public corporation. With a private one, you just have cumulative overhead and sales; whatever is left over
    is profit, and as long as its reasonably positive, it's a viable model. When something is publicly held,
    you need a big BS coefficient in order to attract more investors, and if their often unrealistic expectations aren't routinely met, you've got a big problem. In the present condition, Kodak won't
    attract the latter. If they could supply film at a simple per-proft sustainable basis, the overall demand is probably still significant for a few niche suppliers. And they still have a sizable market for
    color RA4 paper. But making color products does involve a lot of complicated infrastructure and
    supply-chain issues, and all it takes is one weak link to break the chain!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ya, and you thought you were pretty dang fancy and technologically-advanced when your dot matrix printer had a 24-pin head, didn't you? I know I did!
    My first had a six-pin head. Along with the six pinheads I had to work with, that made a total of twelve.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin