Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,778   Online: 1031

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... the roles of CEO and Chairman being combined person should be a red flag from the word "go".
    For Kodak, this is 1989 all over again.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/09/business/click-up-down-and-out-at-kodak.html

Note the line of Prof_Pixel's Kodak vs Dow chart under Whitmore. And that was during boom times for film with next to no digital competition. It didn't work then and it ain't gonna work now.

All this has happened before and all this will happen again....
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    For Kodak, this is 1989 all over again.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/09/business/click-up-down-and-out-at-kodak.html

Note the line of Prof_Pixel's Kodak vs Dow chart under Whitmore. And that was during boom times for film with next to no digital competition. It didn't work then and it ain't gonna work now.

All this has happened before and all this will happen again....
    The link goes to a 'Page not found' message.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-11-2012 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/09/bu...-at-kodak.html

Try it now. There was some extra stuff at the end.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post

Phillip Samper would have been a MUCH better choice as far as I was concerned!

I didn't know him well, but his son was truly outstanding.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of hot-shoe-shuffling and positive-spin at the top, rather like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, but the Big K is still precariously close to the abyss.

"Analysts have said most of Kodak's earnings problems are concentrated in the company's core photographic business, the one Mr. Whitmore knows best. ''Kodak's photo business has been suffering a long-term margin erosion attributable to more competition''

So what did Kodak and its many innovative boots and minions in the boardroom do to stem the tide of the competition trampling over it? Nothing much. It glossed over inkjet paper, scanners and kiosks (make a longer list) and then stepped up into seriously expensive patent infringement bunfight with Polaroid. A $12b payout? Where would Kodak get that sort of pocket money from? And all those people left unemployed, and still more and more going. Except the comfortably remunerated eagles at the top of the company who continue to churn out carefully crafted spin and surgar-coated assurances. Ugh—!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

msa
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I wish Kodak would have entered the Photovoltaic Solar Cell business instead of junky ink jet printers.

I still have 6 boxes of Kodak Christmas Lights in my garage.

Christmas Lights!
    Thing is, the PV market (when it existed in the US, anyway), really favors those with larger chip fabs.

IBM has a process to partially strip down wafers and then recoat them to create PV cells...this lets them recycle manufacturing rejects.

Not that there's any money in it vs China, but it would have favored companies with large fabs (IBM, Intel, Motorola (of course, all that went to Freescale and ON), etc.)

I don't think Kodak could ever have been competitive in that market, but it's all overseas now anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Phillip Samper would have been a MUCH better choice as far as I was concerned!

I didn't know him well, but his son was truly outstanding.
    Fred;

Carp was very much like Samper, while Kohrt was much like Whitmore. Look at what Carp did!

The marketing type / bean counter usually cuts things the wrong way. You need a team! Every person has to input their information with their expertise.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those of you who did not know this, Kodak has / had a rather extensive chip fabrication facility at Kodak Park. It was one full wing of B 81, the Physics Division, and that is where the first digital imaging sensors were made.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    For those of you who did not know this, Kodak has / had a rather extensive chip fabrication facility at Kodak Park. It was one full wing of B 81, the Physics Division, and that is where the first digital imaging sensors were made.

PE
    Didn't they make sensors for the Leica M8 and M9 cameras?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    Yes, true, and as most of us know, Kodak sourced the early full-frame sensors for both Canon and Nikon, but in the time since then, those two companies eclipsed Kodak's technology on sensors. This should've never have happened. Kodak should be top sensor dog today, but their stupid management resulted in them getting left behind. Too many old bastards, not enough fresh blood, young blood. They should've consulted Steve Jobs, but I suspect their arrogance was sky high.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin