Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,312   Online: 1179

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Yep, but Kodak sold off that division. Anything successful, sell it off.
    Thus the term: Vampire Economics
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    I think they'd have had to start even earlier. I bought an HP Deskjet 500 in 1992 or so.

Yes, there were earlier ink jet printers (I had an Apple); however, the first photo quality home ink jet printer came from Epson in late 93 or early 94. It was REALLY slow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    Sure PE, but the companies I'm talking about have (or had, when they were in one piece), dozens and dozens of fabs in the US alone, and hundreds worldwide.

It wouldn't make sense for Kodak to try to compete with them, since that market favors scale. Anyway, the PV ship sailed...straight to China.

(Just like it doesn't make sense to try and compete with Epson and HP by making $50 printers.)

Kodak should be focused on the high end sensor market, things they can do that nobody else can. Getting down in the mud on low margin products won't save the company.
    I am not talking about PVs. I'm talking image sensors, and at that time, only Kodak was making them, and only in Rochester. Later, as volume grew, then had other companies make the chips for the.

In fact, their latest technology is among the patents being sold.

And, there were inkjet printers as early as about 1988. I had a very slow Epson that made color images back then that were slow and poor. I got my second printer in 1997 and it was faster and better.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, there were inkjet printers as early as about 1988. I had a very slow Epson that made color images back then that were slow and poor. I got my second printer in 1997 and it was faster and better.
    A dot matrix printer is probably not the same as an Epson of that era, but I had a Commodore computer (1987) with an A4 dot matrix printer. Wang Computer Co also had an inkjet printer around 1985 as I worked in a programming environment (insurance field representative bulk payment remitter program and provision of MultiMate wp services for field reps) from 1982 to 1989; two such "squirties" were tethered to a then-cutting edge Wang VS65 server in the room with a 50Mb disk requiring two people to load and unload it (!). Look how far we've come!!

Those printer are long gone, along with the early start-up VS-based systems.. I think about 40 minutes to print a single A4 text page. Squabbles and fists were common as patience was not yet invented...
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-13-2012 at 02:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Yep, but Kodak sold off that division. Anything successful, sell it off.
    They probably got a quite good bid on it too.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had both a dot matrix and an ink jet printer in the late '80s.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, and you thought you were pretty dang fancy and technologically-advanced when your dot matrix printer had a 24-pin head, didn't you? I know I did!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I was a young and callow youth..... 1992 to 1996 I was one of the two or three ILFORD people in the UK who started working on wide format inkjet projects. This was because our parent company at the time International Paper ( USA ) was very interested in the technology, back then we were the only ultra high quality coater amongst the IP companies, and they were very supportive, so we were using ( and actually selling ) IRIS printers made in the USA ( Mass. I think ) including the IRIS 3047 an AO printer a snip at $ 150,000 each, they were continuous technology inkjet printers and jaw droppingly good quality. The software was the challenge and they came from the pre-press world, they all ended up in the SCITEX stable, we certainly learned a lot before moving down the food chain to the 'affordable' end of the market ENCAD, HP etc. seems like a lifetime ago?

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    The software was the challenge:
    Right. When Epson brought out the first home photo quality printer in '94 (Epson Stylus) with 720x720 dpi, the rasterizing software was extremely slow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    seems like a lifetime ago?
    It is if you're 20!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin