Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,744   Online: 796

Shooter
    35mm

Online Video of Dr. Wesley Hanson, Kodak Director of Research

There is a video interview of Dr. Wesley Hanson available online. The address is:

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Wesley_T._Hanson

Dr. Hanson got his Phd in chemistry when he was 21 years old and persistently applied to Kodak for a job until they finally hired him. He spent his whole career at Kodak, eventually becoming the director of research there. He knew the inventors of Kodachrome, Mannes and Godowsky, and observed them at work; he met George Eastman; and he himself is the inventor of built-in masks used in Kodacolor negatives.

Dr. Hanson is one of the great figures in the 20th Century photographic industry and this interview is quite fascinating for anyone interested in color film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you! A very interesting interview with a fine man!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is a great video to start the weekend!

It's interesting to hear details like the thousands of color couplers and sensitizers that were tested. Stories that are not often told such as the single layer coating project that was abandoned when multilayer curtain coating came along.

Many, many stories, well worth listening to every word...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting this. "Bunny" Hanson was a great guy, and there are many untold stories about him!!

Moonshining??????? Arrested by the Feds?????

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I never knew Dr. Hanson's nickname was "Bunny"! How did he live that down? I had heard that Godowsky and Mannes were called "God and Man"--which is a revealing spark of wit. Did either of them give interviews?I would be interested in finding out more about the great workers in color film: Hanson, Evans, Godowsky, Mannes, Troland, Kalmus, Gaspar, Friedman, et al. This is a great industry and too often its important contributors go unrecognized, largely because journalists cannot understand even one per cent of their accomplishments. We shouldn't let history slip through our fingers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many "names" at EK that have gone unrecognized, and that deserve a mention. As analog passes into history, so will their names.

Hanson was indeed "Bunny" to many of his peers. I heard the name used often. He knew everyone, and called us all by name. The week before Christmas, he visited every room in all 3 research buildings and said hello to us (unless we were dark!). He was very bright and took part in discussions at meetings.

I found that to be true of all the directors that I worked under. They were extremely bright and knowledgeable about any topic that came up in meetings.

I first met Hanson when he was assistant director. His office later became the office of Jong Wey, one of the greats in EK emulsion makiing. Hanson moved to the directors office and then over to the new building.

And, to answer several queries, his accent was very very pronounced and he spoke very slowly like a true southern gentleman. In fact, that is what my wife called him after meeting him at a party.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

How my grandfather got the nickname Bunny

My name is Wesley T. Hanson IV. I just noticed the interest you all have in my grandfather Wesley T. Hanson Jr. and his nickname of Bunny. He was given that nickname during college by his friends because he had long legs and big ears. My father and I, both named after my great grandfather, as was my grandfather, also have nick names. My dad is nicknamed Peter and I am nicknamed Skip. The whole idea was that we had a Bunny Rabbit so we also needed a Peter Rabbit and a Skipper Rabbit (this stuff is true). Funny how family works!

I have not heard of moonshine stories but would not be surprised at their veracity...!

He also took part in the Manhattan Project (development of US nuclear bomb) though many do not know that about him.

I called my grandfather Poppy all my life - he was a great and brilliant man, and a loving grandfather. He is very missed.

Shooter
    35mm
    How my grandfather got the nickname Bunny

My name is Wesley T. Hanson IV. I just noticed the interest you all have in my grandfather Wesley T. Hanson Jr. and his nickname of Bunny. He was given that nickname during college by his friends because he had long legs and big ears. My father and I, both named after my great grandfather, as was my grandfather, also have nick names. My dad is nicknamed Peter and I am nicknamed Skip. The whole idea was that we had a Bunny Rabbit so we also needed a Peter Rabbit and a Skipper Rabbit (this stuff is true). Funny how family works!

I have not heard of moonshine stories but would not be surprised at their veracity...!

He also took part in the Manhattan Project (development of US nuclear bomb) though many do not know that about him.

I called my grandfather Poppy all my life - he was a great and brilliant man, and a loving grandfather. He is very missed.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody who is into the history of filmmaking knows about your grandfather.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin