Could use a little help on film manufacturers, please.
I'm writing an article for a Photokina Show Daily paper about film. I'm not very well versed on all the small manufacturers of film around the world and could use some help from you all in identifying such companies.
Telling me who there are, where they are and what they make would be very helpful. BTW, I need to finish the article by tomorrow night.
The smaller ones in Europe are
Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel
- Filmotec in Wolfen, Germany: www.filmotec.de Producing only BW films, mostly for Cinema. Also some other special films. See their product range here: http://www.filmotec.de/?page_id=148&lang=en
Due to a recent article in one of the biggest German business magazines 'Handelsblatt', about 22 employees are working there. They only produce the emulsions, they have no own coating line. Due to a statement of their CEO in this Handelsblatt article, the coating is done by Harman / Ilford in Mobberly.
- InovisCoat, Monheim, Germany: www.inoviscoat.de They have bought the original emulsion making and coating machinery from the former Agfa plant in Leverkusen, Germany; moved it to Monheim, modernised it and have it scaled down. All engineers and technicians there are former employees from Agfa in Leverkusen.
They are cooperating with the Impossible Project helping them with development of the new color instant films.
Furthermore they have a cooperation with Adox, and are e.g. producing the MCC and MCP paper for Adox and have also produced the new Adox Silvermax film (production here means emulsion making and coating, cutting and packaging is made by Adox in their factory).
- Adox, Bad Saarow, Germany www.adox.de. Small new, modern factory with focus on converting (cutting, packaging) of film, paper, photochemistry, and emulsion making. With research labs and very small (hand) reserach coating possibilities. Emulsion making of Polywarmtone is in the works currently (research, test emulsions), emulsion making of film emulsions is planned for the future.
The bigger ones in Europe are
- Agfa-Gevaert in Mortsel, Belgium www.agfa.de . They are the world third biggest film manufacturer (behind Kodak and Fuji). Producing lots of different film types for primarily industrial use: movie print film, sound film, microfilm, aerial film, survaillance film, PCB film.
- Harman Technologies / Ilfordphoto; o.k. you know Ilford ;-).
- Foma in Czech Republique www.foma.cz; well, you know them as well ;-).
Then there is also still Tasma in Russia http://www.tasma.ru/en/
Also specialised on industrial film applications.
In China there is still Lucky http://www.luckyfilm.com/html/MasterSite/EN/index.html. They are producing BW film (production of color film has currently been discontinued) and RA-4 paper e.g.
And in China there is also still Shanghai (BW films).
Last edited by Henning Serger; 09-13-2012 at 04:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Wow!! That's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much!
In China, there might be another one: Huatianfu industrial development co., ltd. of Shantou
It seems they only package, finish and distribute film under the Sunny brand. It seems to be Ferrania.
Not sure if they actually produce film. On this page: http://www.chinacsky.com/co/35150/ t lists Colour film and digital paper as some of their products with the place of origin for film being in China.
What do you know about them?
Zenit 11, 12XP
Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM
There's also Slavich in Russia, since 1931.
Slavich export black-and-white photopaper and chemicals, oscillographic and registering paper, photoplates, holographic production.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Hello Fred, you are welcome. I am glad if my information is helpful for you.
Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel
During the last years I've visited some plants of film and film related products, including camera manufacturing.
Well, Ricardo, honestly I know nothing about them.
Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda
Maybe they are related to the company which produced the ERA BW photo film. At least AFAIK ERA was located in the same region.
But it is only a guess from my side. I don't have any valid information.
There are still lots of small and mid-term companies in China who are involved at least partly in producing products for the film based industry.
For example cutting and packaging of film, producers of 135 format metal film cassettes, producers of single use cameras and normal cameras.
When I visited China I've seen lots of different film camera models from manufacturers I've never heard of before.
Models produced for the huge Chinese market, not for export.
Of course! Oh man, I am really getting older......At least I am not the only one who has forgotten to mention it.....
Originally Posted by zsas