Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,850   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's sad...most folks listen to inferior MP3 music rather than superior CD quality, and most listen on these dinky countertop docking speakers. Now we have 4k digital projection being foisted on us as studios find it so much less expensive to distribute movies digitally.
    What is wrong with the 20-40something generations, that they so readily accept cr*p?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's all they've known.

I get the impression (I will admit I could be wrong) that many of them believe that everything (music, movies) should be theirs for free, and they consider building a hiqh quality system for reproducing sound or images an expensive anachronism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently heard a couple of interviews with musicians where they somewhat ruefully acknowledge that the reality is that their recordings are essentially expensive (to them) advertisements for their live music gigs. They essentially said that they know that everyone will just steal their recorded material, and hope that it will result in at least some of those people paying money to hear them live, where at least they will get paid. How things change ..... . .It seems to me that film capture is still reasonably prevalent - it is film distribution that is the urgent problem.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I must admit that hear a lot of music streamed via Youtube these days, but I still buy real CDs from time to time when I think a musician really deserves it.
    As for cinema: The only reason to go to it has been superior image quality and the whole "cinema feeling" for me. It was just different than watching a mushy and pixelated movie stream loaded from the web. Faced with the motion picture industry´s recent tendency to go downhill quality wise , I can´t help but abandoning cinema visits altogether and just watching all my stuff through file sharing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw Dark Knight Rises at the Pacific Science Center IMAX, on the Boeing screen (60ft tall, 80ft wide). At that height, you do see a little bit of grain. Yes, it made the normal movie houses look rather small by comparison. (I wasn't that impressed with the actual movie, though.)

Personally, I just can't see digital projection being up to snuff for something like that, not for a very long time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin