Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,220   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by donkee View Post
    Kodak is funny. Sell off the divisions that make money to go head to head with Epson and HP. They will lose........
    In terms of brand positioning, Kodak needs to find and mark a new position on the market. The film biz is probably not interesting for them in a long term perspective, as little development of both products and brand value is possible in a decreasing business. Just because they say it goes good with their film sales, it doesnt mean they make enough money to see a long term increase in the profit from that business.

I'm thrilled to see how this ends, and if Kodak could get a B&W inkjet for professional photo done right, I'd be the first to buy one...
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The goal, says Olbrich, is to find one buyer that will take on both the Personalized Imaging and Document Imaging divisions, which encompass digital scanners, picture kiosks, souvenir photo products, photographic paper, as well as Kodak's legendary film
    businesses."

Sounds like it might fit into the touristy business model of Disneyland.

I'll bet that Fujifilm has a speculative eye on proceedings.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Too much corporate mumbo jumbo bullshit..make stuff and sell it..

Gim

That's great. Sounds like an interview I heard recently from a businessman "I don't need a tax break, I need someone to buy my product". Both somewhat fitting.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Too much corporate mumbo jumbo bullshit..make stuff and sell it..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only 3 real options for Kodak film.

1. Fujifilm
    2. Ilford
    3. Employee buyout.

Anyone else will either be Wall Street hacks or people who have no idea how to run a film company. Private equity would be a DISASTER for Kodak.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Only 3 real options for Kodak film.

1. Fujifilm
    2. Ilford
    3. Employee buyout.

Anyone else will either be Wall Street hacks or people who have no idea how to run a film company. Private equity would be a DISASTER for Kodak.

I just don't think I see any one of those three having the interest and/or money to pull it off.

BTW, not all VC buyouts are disasters - they would probably expand the market, looking beyond the photographic industry for buyers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I just don't think I see any one of those three having the interest and/or money to pull it off.

BTW, not all VC buyouts are disasters - they would probably expand the market, looking beyond the photographic industry for buyers.
    VC arent going to have the patience it takes to make film work. Someone said that earlier in this thread. They will demand double digit returns on their investment in a few years maximum. VC would buy Kodak and sell it to a scrap yard if they could make money on it. Anyone thinking that VC is the answer is delusional.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Anyone thinking that VC is the answer is delusional.
    I never said the VC alternative was to be desired, just likely if things go into Chapter 7. The County (Monroe) and State (NY) are very interested in making the Eastman Business Park (formally Kodak Park, but with several fewer buildings) work by bring in new industry to the area.

If photo manufacturing still made sense, a VC would work that angle, but I suspect would still look for other business to step in.

All this is highly speculative until next February or so when Kodak passes the Chapter 11 make or break point. A lot has to happen in the next 5 months.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    The article contains a lot of hype and positive spin, a case of "well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"
    Let's see some cash on the table!
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd be extremely surprised if they found a buyer. They're trying to unload a lot of junk by tying it to their valuable name, while they hold onto the manufacturing. I just don't see anybody falling for that deal.

I think the problem is that Kodak is still way too big. They've gotten a lot of flak for all of the lay-offs, but I don't see any way to avoid that. If somebody does step up and buy the personal imaging business they're going to have to axe a lot of people too. I just don't see any company wanting to purchase Kodak's name and then be responsible for dumping the trash, axing everybody, and clean up.

Anyway it goes Kodak is going to be a lot smaller in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin