Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,810   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Update On Film Sale

There is a decent article in the British Journal of Photography about Kodak's progress in selling their film division. It contains relatively good news and in my opinion is big improvement over their previous press releases which had been confusing.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...-film-business

Shooter
    35mm
    It's pretty much what we've talked about elsewhere in the Forum with the exception about some interest being expressed. But I'm reminded of the old saying, 'Show me the money'. Talk comes cheap.

It mentions 'private equity firms' which I guess would also be known as 'venture capitalists'. If Kodak doesn't make it out of Chapter 11, I would expect to see a VC firm pick up the pieces.

Shooter
    35mm
    The logical buyer is Fuji, based on them having plenty of experience and interest in the same sort of things Kodak makes. At the same time Fuji already makes an equivalent of everything Kodak. Hard to guess where all of this will land. Nice to know the phone was ringing at least! I think more than a few people assumed there'd be little interest in a declining market item, even if in the short term there's a lot of profit to be made.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, I think Fuji is the LEAST logical buyer. They already have all the Kodak patents they need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Private equity would be bad. They would be looking to show paper profits in a couple of years and dump it off to some other unsuspecting fool. We want somebody with a long-term investment horizon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Private equity would be bad.
    I agree. I didn't mean to imply that being purchased by a VC would be good, just likely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak is funny. Sell off the divisions that make money to go head to head with Epson and HP. They will lose........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donkee View Post
    Kodak is funny. Sell off the divisions that make money to go head to head with Epson and HP. They will lose........
    Well, frankly, if they spin off film and the new owners are successful I wouldn't give a damn what happened to the rest of Kodak - except that they are to continue making the film.

Fuji is between unlikely and certainly not interested, I think. We'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Private equity would...be looking to show paper profits in a couple of years...
    You give too much credit for patience. A couple of quarters, perhaps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VC would suck as owners. They are all invariably scumbags.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin