Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,555   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Interview with Lee Ting-Mo, CEO Universal Electronics Industries / Holga

Hello,

here is an Interview with the CEO of the company which produce the Holga line of cameras:

http://www.hktdc.com/info/mi/a/hkti/...ntage-View.htm

The current production is more than 200,000 cameras p.a., and they expand their business to mainland China (PRC) [ BTW: Lomography CEO M. Fiegl recently said in an interview the Lomographic Society sold about 500,000 of their Lomo cameras in 2011].

Three years ago (09/2009) a long Interview with Mr. Lee has been published by German news magazine Spiegel online.
    The main statements in this interview:

- the Holga was originally intended as a photo camera for mainland Chinese photographers, introduced 1982
    - but the Holga failed in this market because Chinese photographers bought modern Japanese 35mm (compact) cameras instead
    - the breakthrough for the Holga happened about ten years later, when young photographers and some artists in the USA and Europe discovered it; and especially the LSI (Lomographic Society International) made the Holga popular in the nineties
    - since it's introduction 1982 up to 2009 more than one million of the medium format Holga models has been sold
    - after the success in USA, Japan and Europe now there is an increasing demand from China as well.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Last edited by Henning Serger; 09-19-2012 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My wife owns about 10 of these amazing cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Hello,

here is an Interview with the CEO of the company which produce the Holga line of cameras:

http://www.hktdc.com/info/mi/a/hkti/...ntage-View.htm

The current production is more than 200,000 cameras p.a., and they expand their business to mainland China (PRC) [ BTW: Lomography CEO M. Fiegl recently said in an interview the Lomographic Society sold about 500,000 of their Lomo cameras in 2011].

Three years ago (09/2009) a long Interview with Mr. Lee has been published by German news magazine Spiegel online.
    The main statements in this interview:

- the Holga was originally intended as a photo camera for mainland Chinese photographers, introduced 1982
    - but the Holga failed in this market because Chinese photographers bought modern Japanese 35mm (compact) cameras instead
    - the breakthrough for the Holga happened about ten years later, when young photographers and some artists in the USA and Europe discovered it; and especially the LSI (Lomographic Society International) made the Holga popular in the nineties
    - since it's introduction 1982 up to 2009 more than one million of the medium format Holga models has been sold
    - after the success in USA, Japan and Europe now there is an increasing demand from China as well.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    She needs something to take her mind off of the really horrendous situation she finds herself in!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    So a shot from the cheap seats... We needed to get those cheap plastic lenses as every time you get in the picture the lens cracks on our cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    She needs something to take her mind off of the really horrendous situation she finds herself in!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So a shot from the cheap seats... We needed to get those cheap plastic lenses as every time you get in the picture the lens cracks on our cameras.
    Bob, you have quite a cross to bear, living so close to the peanut gallery.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder what the profit margins are like for these Holgas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Truly GAS! I only own two - guess it's time for more.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I congratulate your wife for her good taste. Did she buy the same model or different models Glass lens, plastic lens, flash, without flash.

And the more important question is she a member on this site or is she smarter than that and shoots with her Holgas instead of posting on a forum.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film shops I go to in China have all kinds of Holga's in stock and usually when I am there I can see several customers looking them over. I think that there must be a lot of people interested in these cameras in China.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    The film shops I go to in China have all kinds of Holga's in stock and usually when I am there I can see several customers looking them over. I think that there must be a lot of people interested in these cameras in China.
    I saw a bunch over there as well when I went a few weeks ago. They are pretty into lomo there, I also met a few film shooters too. All the cameras you see such as in a lomography store and the like are there, aswell as lots of the instax cams, and even this bigger sweeping panoramic model (kinda like a nooblex, not the spinner) was there though i forget the name.

I met a bunch of new friends and gave them film as gifts, things they have never seen (and admittedly don't have here in the stats much anymore) like plus-x in 120, tmax p3200, ektar 25, agfa pan 250. They went bonkers for that stuff lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin