Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,555   Online: 1070
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    488

    Interview with Lee Ting-Mo, CEO Universal Electronics Industries / Holga

    Hello,

    here is an Interview with the CEO of the company which produce the Holga line of cameras:

    http://www.hktdc.com/info/mi/a/hkti/...ntage-View.htm

    The current production is more than 200,000 cameras p.a., and they expand their business to mainland China (PRC) [ BTW: Lomography CEO M. Fiegl recently said in an interview the Lomographic Society sold about 500,000 of their Lomo cameras in 2011].

    Three years ago (09/2009) a long Interview with Mr. Lee has been published by German news magazine Spiegel online.
    The main statements in this interview:

    - the Holga was originally intended as a photo camera for mainland Chinese photographers, introduced 1982
    - but the Holga failed in this market because Chinese photographers bought modern Japanese 35mm (compact) cameras instead
    - the breakthrough for the Holga happened about ten years later, when young photographers and some artists in the USA and Europe discovered it; and especially the LSI (Lomographic Society International) made the Holga popular in the nineties
    - since it's introduction 1982 up to 2009 more than one million of the medium format Holga models has been sold
    - after the success in USA, Japan and Europe now there is an increasing demand from China as well.

    Best regards,
    Henning
    Last edited by Henning Serger; 09-19-2012 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,676
    Images
    14
    My wife owns about 10 of these amazing cameras.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Hello,

    here is an Interview with the CEO of the company which produce the Holga line of cameras:

    http://www.hktdc.com/info/mi/a/hkti/...ntage-View.htm

    The current production is more than 200,000 cameras p.a., and they expand their business to mainland China (PRC) [ BTW: Lomography CEO M. Fiegl recently said in an interview the Lomographic Society sold about 500,000 of their Lomo cameras in 2011].

    Three years ago (09/2009) a long Interview with Mr. Lee has been published by German news magazine Spiegel online.
    The main statements in this interview:

    - the Holga was originally intended as a photo camera for mainland Chinese photographers, introduced 1982
    - but the Holga failed in this market because Chinese photographers bought modern Japanese 35mm (compact) cameras instead
    - the breakthrough for the Holga happened about ten years later, when young photographers and some artists in the USA and Europe discovered it; and especially the LSI (Lomographic Society International) made the Holga popular in the nineties
    - since it's introduction 1982 up to 2009 more than one million of the medium format Holga models has been sold
    - after the success in USA, Japan and Europe now there is an increasing demand from China as well.

    Best regards,
    Henning

  3. #3
    Dinesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My wife owns about 10 of these amazing cameras.
    She needs something to take her mind off of the really horrendous situation she finds herself in!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

  4. #4
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,676
    Images
    14
    So a shot from the cheap seats... We needed to get those cheap plastic lenses as every time you get in the picture the lens cracks on our cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    She needs something to take her mind off of the really horrendous situation she finds herself in!

  5. #5
    thebanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,651
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    So a shot from the cheap seats... We needed to get those cheap plastic lenses as every time you get in the picture the lens cracks on our cameras.
    Bob, you have quite a cross to bear, living so close to the peanut gallery.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    193
    I wonder what the profit margins are like for these Holgas.

  7. #7
    bsdunek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,126
    Images
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My wife owns about 10 of these amazing cameras.
    Truly GAS! I only own two - guess it's time for more.
    Bruce

    Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.


    BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

  8. #8
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,107
    I congratulate your wife for her good taste. Did she buy the same model or different models Glass lens, plastic lens, flash, without flash.

    And the more important question is she a member on this site or is she smarter than that and shoots with her Holgas instead of posting on a forum.

    Dominik

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,083
    Images
    51
    The film shops I go to in China have all kinds of Holga's in stock and usually when I am there I can see several customers looking them over. I think that there must be a lot of people interested in these cameras in China.

  10. #10
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    The film shops I go to in China have all kinds of Holga's in stock and usually when I am there I can see several customers looking them over. I think that there must be a lot of people interested in these cameras in China.
    I saw a bunch over there as well when I went a few weeks ago. They are pretty into lomo there, I also met a few film shooters too. All the cameras you see such as in a lomography store and the like are there, aswell as lots of the instax cams, and even this bigger sweeping panoramic model (kinda like a nooblex, not the spinner) was there though i forget the name.

    I met a bunch of new friends and gave them film as gifts, things they have never seen (and admittedly don't have here in the stats much anymore) like plus-x in 120, tmax p3200, ektar 25, agfa pan 250. They went bonkers for that stuff lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin