Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,418   Online: 1034
      
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64
  1. #11
    ElvisDing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1
    Looking forward to the English version although my current German training may help me a little in reading original thread. Anyway, good job my friend!

  2. #12
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Have I misunderstood all the previous news about the sale of Kodak's film division? According to Henning's report, only the *marketing* of Kodak print films is up for sale, whereas the production will remain at Kodak.
    That's exactly what Kodak clarified later so that seems to be the intent, or at least the announced intent.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    For those of us who dont read German, What did Fujifilm say?
    This is just a basic summary:

    Fuji was losing money on selling cine stock, and probably made a deal with Kodak on the discontinuance. Due to increased demand and a solution to the raw material problem, Neopan 400 is being manufacured again. Look for it in stores by November. They have a new Instax camera, and it is very popular with younger people. They are still going to sell transparency film for the forseeable future, and have even seen a small uptick in sales. Germans love their slides, as it sells 1:1 with the rest of Europe. It's possible with enough demand to restart production of discontinued slide film, although it all depends on demand. Sensia was discontinued because after price increases it would only be 1 Euro less than Provia, and most would just pay the Euro. Younger people are interested in film along with digital, and the Fuji rep says that there will probably be film even when he retires in 20 years.
    Last edited by nickrapak; 10-02-2012 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

  4. #14
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,212
    Sensia was discontinued because it would cost more than Provia and people would pay it? That doesn't seem right.

    Please bring back Astia or Sensia. We need a lower contrast reversal film than excellent but a bit punchy Provia. (In sheets, please!)

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Horsham, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Sensia was discontinued because it would cost more than Provia and people would pay it? That doesn't seem right.

    Please bring back Astia or Sensia. We need a lower contrast reversal film than excellent but a bit punchy Provia. (In sheets, please!)

    Sorry, 1 Euro less. Post has been edited.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

  6. #16
    spatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109
    In addition to what nickrapak says, Henning spoke with the Product Manager of Photo Imaging Products and they discussed the discontinuance of Astia. They agreed that it was a big mistake to discontinue this film because of its capabilities - notably its natural colour rendition/accuracy and its relatively high dynamic range thus making it the most sensible choice for portrait photographers and for reproduction photography (artworks etc.) The product manager stated that he believed astia to be on of the best films that Fujifilm has produced.

    Well if its possible for fuji to re-introduce films then I would be happy with just Velvia 50, Provia and Astia in 135 all the way to 8x10. Everything else to me is secondary. Fuji could even take a leaf out of Ilfords book and do yearly large format runs to make it more economically viable.
    Well, one can hope...

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by spatz View Post
    The product manager stated that he believed astia to be on of the best films that Fujifilm has produced.
    It's a shame and it sounds like tough decisions don't only effect us. I'm glad they're showing real pride in their products. It was celebrated for landscape work in the UK.

  8. #18
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by spatz View Post
    In addition to what nickrapak says, Henning spoke with the Product Manager of Photo Imaging Products and they discussed the discontinuance of Astia. They agreed that it was a big mistake to discontinue this film because of its capabilities - notably its natural colour rendition/accuracy and its relatively high dynamic range thus making it the most sensible choice for portrait photographers and for reproduction photography (artworks etc.) The product manager stated that he believed astia to be on of the best films that Fujifilm has produced.

    Well if its possible for fuji to re-introduce films then I would be happy with just Velvia 50, Provia and Astia in 135 all the way to 8x10. Everything else to me is secondary. Fuji could even take a leaf out of Ilfords book and do yearly large format runs to make it more economically viable.
    Well, one can hope...
    Sounds like they know how good Astia was, at least, so maybe there's hope. I was astounded when I started shooting it. I was expecting something with more pastel saturation but what I got was rich and vibrant but without the overblown look of higher saturation films and without so much contrast as Provia. I moved on to E100G when Astia went away, and it was indeed good (still have several rolls in the freezer and just sent one to Dwayne's with some other E6) but of the two I prefer Astia.

  9. #19
    spatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109
    i agree. i have tried e100g and still prefer astia - though i only have 5 rolls of 120 left. i never warmed towards kodak reversal films for some reason so i really hope they bring back astia.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,820
    I dread thawing out my last box of Astia 100F 8x10. It functions as the best color dupe film ever,
    even better than CDUII or EDupe. I also have some interior shots with it I am prepping for dye transfer printing which would have been very difficult with any other film, chrome or color neg, due
    to the nature of the colors involved as well as the specific contrast. That was a quadruple-whammy for me - losing Astia, E100G, Quickloads, and Ilfochrome all about the same time. I only have so much of each still stashed in the freezer. Part of the problem is the communication failure on the part
    of the film community in general. People didn't understand how to interpret a film like Astia in terms of end use, so it didn't sell all that well compared to Velvia and Provia. And maybe it's also a symptom of everyone nowadays expecting honey and jam on top of sugar cubes color saturation these day - but eat enough of that and you'll eventually vomit.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin