Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,074   Online: 965
      
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,957
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    The main difference between Fuji and EK is that Fuji was able to diversify enough that they are financially stable, whereas Kodak wasn't (for many reasons). If EK stock was $100 a share and annual profits were in the billions, Kodak would be able to afford a few thousand dollars to maintain goodwill. When their net loss is almost 800 million, they can't afford to spill out day-old coffee, much less keep coating film that loses money.


    P.S. Fuji's discontinued their fair share of films in the past few years. Fans of Neopan 1600, 800Z, FP-100B, 4x5 instant pack films, 64T, Astia, Velvia 100F, and LF Velvia 50 shooters know all too well about Fuji's "demonstrated commitment" to film.
    Fujifilm is committed to films that people want. Films that dont sell wastes resources for films that do sell. While small groups of individuals might lament the loss of any film, the plain fact is that canceled films do not sell. Kodak's E6 films are a perfect example. You can still find Kodak E6 films even though out of production because they simply do not sell much. A few rolls PER MONTH at most places.

    I have no problems with films that dont sell being axed.

  2. #42
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Roger, Thanks for your reply. Of course I can understand anyone's personal preference for a specific film. My return to film has me without any particular preference so I gravitate towards Fujifilm and Ilford to some extent because these two companies are seriously committed to film. Kodak is not and is instead totally dismissive of film. I am shooting a lot of 400H this week for the first time so I am interested to see if it really looks like film from decades ago as you say above. I declined to use Porta and instead choose 400H. Probably not the best choice for outdoor street use at night, but I wanted to experiment. I have Reala for daytime use. I wanted to shoot mostly Acros but for the life of me I cannot find it ANYWHERE here in Hong Kong. Supplies have completely dried up. I really like Acros so rather than change films, I am shooting color this trip instead.
    Reala is pretty good. 400H, well - that may have been a little exaggerated "like a film from decades ago" but it's not Portra 400 which I think is a better film, unless you want a grittier look with more grain, less saturation (that part I like for some stuff - I'd love to find something like the old Agfa Portrait 160) and less accurate color. Examples are easy to find online, but heck, you may find it's just what you wanted.

    Bottom line for me is that I can do black and white (probably 70% or more of my work) just fine without Kodak. I can shoot color slides for a while longer anyway with Fuji though I'm still bothered by the loss of Astia, maybe the single best E6 film ever. But in color neg I think Kodak is very good choice. Even if you like Reala and 400H, there's no Fuji competition for Ektar 100.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,957
    Images
    38
    Well, I am certainly interested in how my 400H shots come out. I used to use Fuji's 400 speed color pro film 10 years or so ago. It's been updated since then so I am not sure what to expect. Hopefully it gets through the airport unmolested.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    How many trolls do you know that PAY to join a web site to troll? Hmmm?? Do you even have a brain?

    I stand by EVERY word I have posted here at APUG.

    By the way, why don’t YOU subscribe?
    Yes, I do have a brain. I also do subscribe.

    Do you remember two months ago?
    You posted In the Industry New Section on August 4th 2012:
    “After more than 10 years away, I SHOT FILM today”
    (This was in NO WAY Industry news. But I passed it over at the time as
    you are in China and it may be a language issue.)

    Now, 2 months later, you are an smarter than all of us?

    I do not want to fight. However do not pretend to be a World expert when you are not.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 10-08-2012 at 10:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    683
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I swear I dont understand how anyone can support Kodak. They are doing everything possible to kill film. The amount of boneheaded decisions is astonishing. Even the "sale" of their film division is so half assed...
    Kodak are still manufacturing products worth buying. Whats wrong with supporting Kodak???
    I am not a regular Kodak films user but I shot a box of Kodak films every year..
    For most of us, Kodak is not the white collars but the product and the photo engineers and the crew that makes those films.

    Most Kodak haters are missing the major point. What happens to Kodak is orchestrated event, its all being paid for, in gold. The global industry does not need Kodak.
    The current CEO is the *right* one, the current board of directors is the most *convenient* one.

    Shoot Kodak film while You still can.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    670
    Sorry for my previous post. I have reconsidered and decided that it is not something that belongs on APUG.

  7. #47
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Most Kodak haters are missing the major point. What happens to Kodak is orchestrated event, its all being paid for, in gold. The global industry does not need Kodak.
    The current CEO is the *right* one, the current board of directors is the most *convenient* one.

    Shoot Kodak film while You still can.
    What are you talking about?

    This sounds like pure tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, typically short on details. If you have some real allegations and some evidence, let's hear specifically what you mean and your evidence.

    Except for Kodak making good films and we should use them if we like them, which I do and I do.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 10-09-2012 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #48
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,289
    Images
    301
    There are a lot of people working at Eastman Kodak that are hoping to retain a job in an already depressed part of the country. The decisions are not made by these workers, but by a team of executives who count beans and who haven't exactly developed the best strategy over the years. That's not the fault of the majority of the amazing professionals that work there, churning out the best quality film in the world.

    Support the films and products you like to support. Shoot what gives you the most pleasure and the best results, chances are that would be a Kodak emulsion. A photography world without Kodak would be a much poorer one, if you look beyond the politics of it, which has nothing to do with the joy of photography.

    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I swear I dont understand how anyone can support Kodak. They are doing everything possible to kill film. The amount of boneheaded decisions is astonishing. Even the "sale" of their film division is so half assed.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    683
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What are you talking about?

    This sounds like pure tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, typically short on details. If you have some real allegations and some evidence, let's hear specifically what you mean and your evidence.

    Except for Kodak making good films and we should use them if we like them, which I do and I do.
    Roger, do You follow the lawsuits between Kodak and the numerous, famous asian backed fruit / monkey named companies?

    Its a pattern and it goes unfavorably for Kodak in the last decade or so.

  10. #50
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,893
    Nope, nor do I intend to. So I'll say it again - if you do, and if you have some allegations to make, and evidence, make them and show it.

    I for one put less than zero stock in eyebrow wagging vague insinuations online without specifics.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin