Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,858   Online: 1183

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I can understand the situation with Kodak because it is a legit bankruptcy and they're backed into a
    corner with few options. But anagous things are happening with corps wallowing in record profits:
    layoffs, longer hours with reduced pay or cancelled benefits, no new hiring, etc. This kind of tactic might be feasible to get away with at the moment, just because everyone else is doing it; but in the long run it almost never benefits the corporation. Skilled workers are not in fact a commodity, and when they're screwed over, sometimes turn out to be your most serious competitors. I've been at dinner parties for multi-billion dollar international companies celebrating their world dominance in this or that industry that were broke in six month due to such behavior. And I've listened to keynote speeches by youthful billionaires (on paper) that probably couldn't afford cab fare a year later.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Drew, I think you said it best yourself,

trying to pluck the last feathers off the middle class
    That about sums it all up.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...Skilled workers are not in fact a commodity...
    Perhaps not in one region or country but, on a global basis, they are.

...I've been at dinner parties for multi-billion dollar international companies celebrating their world dominance in this or that industry that were broke in six month due to such behavior...
    There are many, many stupid management decisions that can result in bankruptcy. Recognizing and taking advantage of the fact that governments around the world have supported treating skilled labor as a commodity isn't one of them.

...I've listened to keynote speeches by youthful billionaires (on paper) that probably couldn't afford cab fare a year later.
    Youthful billionaires are no different that any other managers. Except perhaps they haven't yet made as many stupid decisions as those older than them. Buying skilled labor on the world market does not inherently lead to their downfall.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey Sal - I'm trying to retire and can't even find anyone to fill my shoes. There are all kinds of acquired skill sets had to be learned through years of actual experience. I'm lucky to work for a family corporation rather than a publicly-traded one, and the heirs apparent started their career here
    with a broom in hand, and have to learn the ropes a step at a time like eveyone else, though of course at an accelerated rate. The only commodity career I know out there is an MBA - with a mere
    diploma some of those guys can sink any business ever devised in six months!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are a better man than I, Drew. When I get ready to retire I doubt that I will have enough emotion left in my soul to care who replaces me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When we went to work for Kodak, we signed a contract that outlined our NDA obligations and Kodak's obligations in therms of "valuable consideration" in return for our work. Valuable consideration was outlined in terms of pay, retirement and medical benefits. Over the years, all of this changed as Kodak changed. They added and then removed dental benefits and they added insurance benefits. So, the plans changed gradually. There was never a hint that they would stop. In fact, at one time Kodak added some procedures in their bylaws that would prevent a buyout / split by some takeover corp.

Today, letters were received by all retirees covering what is going on. It stated clearly that there will be no health care enrollment this year. I suspect that our carrier will notify us of what comes next.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron... was that strictly an NDA, or an employment contract? I've seen hundreds of NDAs but never one that specified compnay obligations... other than their obligation to prosecute if the NDA is violated. Most people, as I understand it, are "at will" employees and only the senior managers have employment contracts. At least that's the way it is in my field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. Sorry to hear that you received "the letter". That sucks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I suspect that our carrier will notify us of what comes next.

Ron,

Got my letter today as well and like you, will be waiting to hear from our carrier.

Fred

(When are you next planning to go to the GEH?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ron... was that strictly an NDA, or an employment contract? I've seen hundreds of NDAs but never one that specified compnay obligations... other than their obligation to prosecute if the NDA is violated. Most people, as I understand it, are "at will" employees and only the senior managers have employment contracts. At least that's the way it is in my field.
    I used the words "valuable consideration". That was all that was specified. At that time, I was handed a group of booklets and an employees handbook which detailed the valuable consideration. The wording of the "contract" or the contract and NDA was very vague. I never implied anything more than that. The handbooks and notebooks of information contained everything which made it non binding. In fact, as I said, it varied quite a bit over the years and we got nearly yearly updates on this. I have many of these, some of which were entitled "You and Kodak".

Fred, Mark and I are still trying to work out a date. He is very busy next week so it will probably be the week after.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin