Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,816   Online: 988

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how many people there are who have been entering this contest for years with their Nikon produced film images are now barred from continuing to do so?

It seems a silly rule.

Limiting submissions to 35mm full frame or smaller sensors/film might make a little more sense, but would still exclude those shooting Nikkor medium format or large format lenses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should I video tape the smashing of my D80 by my F4 and put it on youtube?!@
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Nikon Photo contest held since 1969 will not accept film images anymore

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Another silly statement.
    A supercilious ad hominem statement of pseudo-psychoanalysis, irrelevant to the topic; the "inferiority complex" one specifically being a favorite tool of the internet troll. You come off as puerile and it only lowers respect for you.
    If you try to apply it to me, will you also apply it to Dan Bayer (PKM-25),who called it BS here and already voiced his objection to Nikon, and who buys the latest Nikon professional digital cameras for his professional work because he literally wears out the previous models?

If I am, and that could be, it changes nothing. It is still offensive. At best, it shows a lack of understanding of what photography is about- the image. There is no defensible technical reason for it. They allow any kind of manipulation, so it can't be about integrity of the image or some such. So, the question is, "why"? Can you explain?

For decades analog was acceptable, and in fact was all there was. Nikon built their contest on it. And there were some superlative submissions, from both artistic and technical standpoints. Most of their past winners are analog images.
    Now a picture from a smartphone is accepted, but a scan from LF is not. So it's not about the technical aspect. Over a century of analog imaging proves it can't be about the artistic aspect. So what is it?

Nikon made the decision deliberately. They decided that it doesn't matter if analog images are excluded. In doing so they have excluded every image made on that medium, and so have diminished their contest. They present their contest as one of the top contests in the world, and it has been widely regarded that way. The contest was always open to all photography; that is no longer. That is a distinct and very real change. It is certainly justification enough for my reaction.

The work of very dedicated, capable and talented photographers will be excluded because of choice of medium. The contest is open to all photographers, so some amount of the submissions will be substandard. Those who use analog these days do so by choice, and as a group are more highly proficient and motivated, due to the level of involvement it takes for most to use analog these days over digital. The analog submissions as a group will contain a higher amount of excellent images for that reason alone.

Why? Why have a separate category? If analog vs. digital is bogus, if what matters is the image, not the medium used, why? There is no reason to differentiate analog. A winning image will win on its merit.

Bottom line: if the contest is stated to be open to all, then it is open to all. Exclude some and there is no longer a true representation of all the work being done in photography. That is at the core of my objection to the current rules.
    Wait Dan Bayer is on here? I love Dan he's awesome! We met at Dwayne's when Kodachrome was shutting down. I also have never seen him shoot digital, I think I remember reading he had like a leica or fuji RF digital, didn't know he had a Nikon, he pretty much shoots film as far as I know, but I've seen him work, he certainly uses his equipment, wish I could afford to work as hard as he does!

As far as the contest, I agree it's unfair of them to disclude film, perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with vetting a film image and decided it was time to just go digital only for cost and ease reasons? Plus they want to support their current product, it's been what, 10 years since a pro film camera from Canon or Nikon? They are just being business forward, why supports a medium they don't support, I don't like it, but it's the reality, it's just like how the painters reacted when photography was new, portrait painters freaked out and chastised film portraits claiming it wasn't real art etc. so, we have to accept that this is a medium of the past.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone need to start a petition on Change.org
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No I am still not over it, how about we all shoot film and edit the EXIF to be a Nikon DSLR and win it, and then show everyone the neg.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait Dan Bayer is on here? I love Dan he's awesome! We met at Dwayne's when Kodachrome was shutting down. I also have never seen him shoot digital, I think I remember reading he had like a leica or fuji RF digital, didn't know he had a Nikon, he pretty much shoots film as far as I know, but I've seen him work, he certainly uses his equipment, wish I could afford to work as hard as he does!
    Yes, he's here, sometimes on photo.net too. And of course the Kodachrome Project.

As far as the contest, I agree it's unfair of them to disclude film, perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with vetting a film image and decided it was time to just go digital only for cost and ease reasons?
    I don't understand this. What's to vet?
    Make it clear stolen (or "borrowed") images will lead to disqualification. Or run all the finalist images through something like tineye. EXIF can be faked so that's no guarantee. And to exclude the work of some photographers for ease or cost reasons? To deny people a chance because they don't want to go to some trouble or to save money is unethical.

They are just being business forward, why supports a medium they don't support,
    They allowed and still allow medium and large formats in which they have no product; they no longer make large format lenses. They allow images from any make of camera or lens. What will hurt them more, an image taken with a Canon 40D with kit lens, or an image taken with a 105mm Nikkor on an F2? At least the Nikon equipment would serve as a demonstration of the quality of Nikon products through the years. The Canon gets them nothing.

I don't like it, but it's the reality, it's just like how the painters reacted when photography was new, portrait painters freaked out and chastised film portraits claiming it wasn't real art etc.
    I don't see the connection. There's no gripe about digital; it's about the exclusion of analog.

so, we have to accept that this is a medium of the past.
    It is a medium of the past. Over 150 years of iconic images bear witness to its ability to reach people of all stations in life.
    It is also a medium of the present. Film is still being made, and is being used by people with the drive and determination to realize their vision through it.
    It is also a medium of the future, so long as there are companies making film, and beyond that people making their own emulsions and carbons and gum prints, just as some do now. That artistry should not be ignored.

It is not much different from painting, really. Except that successful painters receive much more money for their work.
    Painting was the medium of the past, it is a highly valued art form of the present, and it will continue to be in the future, even if painters have to grind their own pigments and mix their own paints. I know one who does that now, to get what he wants.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-30-2012 at 03:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many film users don't have access to a digital camera good enough to substitute for a scan
    PM me and we can arrange for me to use my 60 macro on my Dee-ate-hundred to capture a 100+ MB raw "scan" of the original of your choice, I would love to stick it to them for this crap anyway I can....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

As far as the contest, I agree it's unfair of them to disclude film, perhaps they didn't want to have to deal with vetting a film image and decided it was time to just go digital only for cost and ease reasons? Plus they want to support their current product, it's been what, 10 years since a pro film camera from Canon or Nikon? They are just being business forward, why supports a medium they don't support, I don't like it, but it's the reality, it's just like how the painters reacted when photography was new, portrait painters freaked out and chastised film portraits claiming it wasn't real art etc.
    Whuzzup Stone?!

In a word, the painters had it easier than we do, we live in a bigger world that has the invasion of intrepid thinking called the Internet...2012 has been a bad, bad year for both film and the film user, Nikon's BS move is not helping....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nikon made the decision deliberately. They decided that it doesn't matter if analog images are excluded. In doing so they have excluded every image made on that medium, and so have diminished their contest.
    They didn't exclude analog by accident or because they forgot to mention it in their list: they went through the effort and explicitly excluded the medium from the contest. Compare this to sports, where everyone who qualifies can participate in the Olympic games, but the Special Olympics specifically exclude athletes without disabilities. Maybe Nikon reasons the same way ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The exclusion of analogue material is a clear proof that digital has not yet reached the quality and emotional response of analogue photography. Instead of bitching we can see the decision as proof of analogue's superiority.

This could also be seen as a possiblity for guerillia warfare against digital. Make a superb photo with digital, win, and if it came to an interview you can say that digital is an inferior medium but that you had to use it in order to compete in this competition.

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin