Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,190   Online: 1069

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HAHAHA well obviously, film is competition to them now. There is nothing to gain and possibly something to lose from giving a prize to a film photograph. This is Nikon…a big digital camera producing company who couldn’t give a damn about photography but they are very interested in selling their product though, they will sell a D800 to any poor shmuck who thinks his camera will take nice pictures for him…they are only interested in steering the consumer toward their product and making their product as profitable to them as possible. I don’t know..just theorizing I guess, all I know is that if a product was not a threat there would be no reason to prohibit it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The exclusion of analogue material is a clear proof that digital has not yet reached the quality and emotional response of analogue photography. Instead of bitching we can see the decision as proof of analogue's superiority.

This could also be seen as a possiblity for guerillia warfare against digital. Make a superb photo with digital, win, and if it came to an interview you can say that digital is an inferior medium but that you had to use it in order to compete in this competition.

Dominik
    lol..how a bout a digital picture of a film picture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    film submissions are beyond the scope of the contest
    just like digital images are beyond the scope of apug .

nikon doesn't make or sell film cameras anymore why would anyone think they would have a photo contest like features gear they don't even make ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-30-2012 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    < nikon doesn't make or sell film cameras anymore why would they have a photo contest like that ... >

How about the Nikon F6??
    Last edited by mono; 10-30-2012 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    < nikon doesn't make or sell film cameras anymore why would they have a photo contest like that ... >

How about the Nikon F6??
    oops ...

you're right !

now i'm outraged as well !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Nikon Photo contest held since 1969 will not accept film images anymore

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Whuzzup Stone?!

In a word, the painters had it easier than we do, we live in a bigger world that has the invasion of intrepid thinking called the Internet...2012 has been a bad, bad year for both film and the film user, Nikon's BS move is not helping....
    Hey Dan! Very true, the world is so big that it's small... Or is it that we are small in it?

I may have to go exclusively film again, Hurricane Sandy seems to have waterlogged my Canon 5D Mark II and I don't have 3 grand for the Mark III, shows how well made my Canon EOS 1V was made that it survived...perhaps I'm being told something by the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yes, he's here, sometimes on photo.net too. And of course the Kodachrome Project.

I don't understand this. What's to vet?
    Make it clear stolen (or "borrowed") images will lead to disqualification. Or run all the finalist images through something like tineye. EXIF can be faked so that's no guarantee. And to exclude the work of some photographers for ease or cost reasons? To deny people a chance because they don't want to go to some trouble or to save money is unethical.
    That doesn't mean people wouldn't try, and perhaps it's easier to prevent this with digital somehow? Ask them why.

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It is a medium of the past. Over 150 years of iconic images bear witness to its ability to reach people of all stations in life.
    It is also a medium of the present. Film is still being made, and is being used by people with the drive and determination to realize their vision through it.
    It is also a medium of the future, so long as there are companies making film, and beyond that people making their own emulsions and carbons and gum prints, just as some do now. That artistry should not be ignored.

It is not much different from painting, really. Except that successful painters receive much more money for their work.
    Painting was the medium of the past, it is a highly valued art form of the present, and it will continue to be in the future, even if painters have to grind their own pigments and mix their own paints. I know one who does that now, to get what he wants.
    I meant that just like painting, film photography has moved from the "new" art, to the "old" art, digital is the new image art, and soon it will be something else (probably 3D or something like it). So in that sense it's of the past. And it's viewed by the majority as antique or quaint, like when I use my Autograohic foldies, I draw a crowd, fascination with antiques can also be profitable, so it could be good for us film guys, less competition.

Also most painters do NOT make more than photographers, not by a long shot, their paintings susally star to make money at second hand sales post mortem but during their lifetimes they are often unnoticed, only a select few are not the starving artists. This is true of photography but at least we have the option of making money, dare I mention weddings? You don't see a lot of painters doing a 6 hour wedding and walking away with $2,000-$12,000 twice a weekend for say 3 months of the year... I can't imagine main photos LIKE weddings, but they do it for the $ (or &#163;, &#165;, €, ₩, didn't want to exclude people haha).

Anyway, either next year they will open up to film again because of the complaints, or they won't, it is what it is, let's just keep plugging along and enjoying the fact we even have film to shoot on...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post

How about the Nikon F6??
    The F6 is a atom sized fraction of their product income…who buys a F6 to “try” film or to start using film again? Most will buy a used film camera for 100$ before. The bulk of their income is digital, they can discontinue the F6 tomorrow without even seeing a dent on their income…I don’t even need to verify this.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Nikon Photo contest held since 1969 will not accept film images anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis M View Post
    The F6 is a atom sized fraction of their product income…who buys a F6 to “try” film or to start using film again? Most will buy a used film camera for 100$ before. The bulk of their income is digital, they can discontinue the F6 tomorrow without even seeing a dent on their income…I don’t even need to verify this.
    Sadly it's true, they still sell the Canon EOS 1V brand new as well, but I'm sure it's more back stock than new production. Wish they would make an updated program for their EXIF data downloader (canon records shooting data up to 300 rolls at a time i believe, and imprints a number in the beginning of the roll so you can match canister to image data, and you can download it). I keep an old laptop with windows 95 just to download it... Sad but true...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis M View Post
    hi alexis

i was saying nikon doesn't even make anything film based anymore so there was no point in
    even including film ( a dead media to nikon seeing i thought they were all digital by now )
    and i was dead wrong ... even thought the f6 is $2660.00 ... they still make and sell it ...

i guess film really isn't a big market share so they can afford to alienate the 20 film users that still use old
    antiquated nikon cameras and smelly old film

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The contest has little to do with photography but more with multimedia and illustration see category B & C they also nixed the emerging talent category and instead created the Nikon 1 category. Even for digital the requirements are shit sRGB instead of full rgb. This whole thing has changed from a contest with marketing to a pure marketing ploy.

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin