Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,165   Online: 1023

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    The Royal Photographic Society no longer accepts film for its International Projected Image (formerly International Slide) competition, though scans are apparently acceptable.
    Very disappointing that slides, a stalwart of photography for so many years, are now excluded from the event. The RPS would undoubtedly argue that it's through lack of traditional slide entries, but if they don't allow them, well there certainly won't be any!
    Steve (former International Slide Exhibition entrant, but not any more)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, what would you do if you were Nikon? They do have a presence in industrial and medical imaging - expensive stuff - but the cash cow at the moment is DSLSR's and amateur point n' shoot
    digital. They better run with the fad while they can, cause it won't last. Other options like cell phones are already cutting into their consumer market fast. Will pro DSLR's sustain them in the long haul??? Not likely. They could become another Kodak story if they don't play their cards right. Like I give a damn. I've already got my FM2, FM3, and several LF Nikkor lenses, which will last the rest of my life.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    The Royal Photographic Society no longer accepts film for its International Projected Image (formerly International Slide) competition, though scans are apparently acceptable.
    Very disappointing that slides, a stalwart of photography for so many years, are now excluded from the event. The RPS would undoubtedly argue that it's through lack of traditional slide entries, but if they don't allow them, well there certainly won't be any!
    Steve (former International Slide Exhibition entrant, but not any more)
    Shame on the RPS digital projection sucks compared to slides, the decision of the RPS not to accept slides is even worse thah Nikon's decision. Nikon is a corporation the RPS is not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Well, what would you do if you were Nikon?
    Not exclude and therefore offend pro users like me who have been using both their digital products ( N90s/NC2000 circa 1994 ) and film products ( F3 H.P. circa 1987 ) for over 20 years by telling the world that film photographers no longer matter in their long standing photo competition.

This IS a serious blow to the overall perception of the value of film based photography to the public at large and simply does not help the overall advocacy of it all. There is no reason for it, they are going to catch hell for this if I have anything to do with it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ... telling the world that film photographers no longer matter in their long standing photo competition.

This IS a serious blow to the overall perception of the value of film based photography to the public at large and simply does not help the overall advocacy of it all. There is no reason for it
    This is why this is an important topic. It does hurt all analog imaging. Nikon is one of the pre-eminent names in photography, and their decision to exclude the analog segment of the photography community shows that they consider it irrelevant. We should not just let this pass. We should object. If we don't we are accepting irrelevance.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

I meant that just like painting, film photography has moved from the "new" art, to the "old" art, digital is the new image art, and soon it will be something else (probably 3D or something like it). So in that sense it's of the past.
    That's what I figured you meant. I was expanding on that and I guess challenging you to clarify that.

Also most painters do NOT make more than photographers, not by a long shot, their paintings susally star to make money at second hand sales post mortem but during their lifetimes they are often unnoticed, only a select few are not the starving artists. This is true of photography but at least we have the option of making money, dare I mention weddings? You don't see a lot of painters doing a 6 hour wedding and walking away with $2,000-$12,000 twice a weekend for say 3 months of the year...
    Good points. Instead of "successful painters" I should have said "the most successful painters", which is who I was thinking of when I wrote it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Well, what would you do if you were Nikon? They do have a presence in industrial and medical imaging - expensive stuff - but the cash cow at the moment is DSLSR's and amateur point n' shoot
    I don't own a DSLR, yet the maker of my SLR has made quite a bit of money with me, much more than what they make with the average prosumer DSLR kit. Many lenses, flash, service ....
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    for over 20 years by telling the world that film photographers no longer matter in their long standing photo competition.
    They don't just say "analog doesn't matter any more", they say explicitly "we don't like analog", which is a completely different message if you ask me. They don't ignore us, they give us the finger. We should reply in kind. Or just yawn at their "contest".
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    of the great mass of people out there who don't know much about photography, how many actually know this contest exists and that a glossy calendar is produced of the winning images ? very few I would think so I don't think they care about our small corner of the world tbh

most express shock/horror/surprise when they see me with my 35/mf/lf/ulf cameras as it were
    Last edited by canuhead; 10-30-2012 at 09:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    ... they also nixed the emerging talent category...
    I see now this contest should really have six categories. Bring back emerging talent, and add an alternative processes category which may include film. These two categories could have lower-tier prizes (like an honorable mention category). Because emerging talent is lifted by recognition, and film photographers, well we don't need more cameras.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Doubt I'll ever enter a contest. They all seem pretty stupid to me. But instead of everyone on APUG
    whining at retreating when the first volley is fired, wouldn't it make more sense to go on the offence
    and make film the superior more advanced option? Organize your own high-profile contest. Make
    connections - and advertise "no digital anthing" allowed. But if you do, you'd better know how to
    print.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin