Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,156   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem is that you simply can not tell if an image was made with Nikon gear using film. That's all.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    The problem is that you simply can not tell if an image was made with Nikon gear using film. That's all.
    You never could!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those frigging idiots.

They will accept MF and LF digital, but not film images from those formats. Like how many people are shooting 8x10 with scanning backs? And someone who makes exquisite carbon or gum prints is SOL. What arrogance!

They won't accept B&W film images, at a time when a lot of B&W photographers still shoot film because digital just does not measure up, along with those who use film for B&W or for all their personal work because of the innate qualities it has that digital doesn't have. A high quality scan of a well-made B&W print will beat the absolute hell out of a B&W shot from one of their D-whatevers. And a high quality scan of a LF or even MF color image will far outclass the gamut and outright visual quality of anything they make. And a 35mm image done right can equal their digitals, especially considering that the content is what really matters.

It's galling to think that they won't accept an image from their own current F6 or any other film Nikon, without which there probably would be no Nikon. And it's doubly galling to realize that they are willing to exclude the work of very talented people because of the medium they choose to use. And these days, if people use film, it's most likely by choice.

It is nonsensical that only the wealthiest LF or MF shooters can enter, excluding the majority. And any user of a P&S digital can enter, but those who chose Nikon's own best film cameras from the present and past cannot. Everyone knows a D1 never measured up to film quality, but it's acceptable, and an F6 is not? Sheesh.

There's no rational basis for not accepting scans- it's all digital at that point, so what's the difference?

What kind of people are running Nikon these days?

I will be writing to Nikon as soon as I am calm enough that it won't sound like a rant.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-27-2012 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon is forging ahead as fast as it can against Canon after giving a ton of its users to Canon in the 80s and 90s. It's all digital now; why would Nikon (or any other mfg.) allow a chance that their premier contest is going to be won by a film-based entry? Especially if that entry was made with a technology they're trying to abandon. Even more, if that entry was made with products that they no longer make, or made during the period their users were abandoning them in a flood to the competition? A period, now gone, when they were the king.

This sucks, I agree, but you can't possibly be surprised by this, can you? Really?

s-a

Of fortunes sharpe adversite
    The greatest infortune is this:
    A man to have been in prosperite
    And it remembir when it passid is.

- Chaucer
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know if they allowed this loophole, but I use a digital camera to photograph my prints. That's not a scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Nikon is forging ahead as fast as it can against Canon after giving a ton of its users to Canon in the 80s and 90s. It's all digital now; why would Nikon (or any other mfg.) allow a chance that their premier contest is going to be won by a film-based entry? Especially if that entry was made with a technology they're trying to abandon. Even more, if that entry was made with products that they no longer make, or made during the period their users were abandoning them in a flood to the competition? A period, now gone, when they were the king.

This sucks, I agree, but you can't possibly be surprised by this, can you? Really?
    Surprised? Not really. Pissed off? Oh hell yes.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Surprised? Not really. Pissed off? Oh hell yes.
    Exactly.

Shooter
    35mm
    These "photo contests" are ultimately nothing but a marketing instrument.

Certainly they cannot say that they would only grant the award to an image shot with a Nikon, but something tells me that by sheer coincidence the winning entries will be shot on Nikon.

They allowed the MF exception probably not to "devalue" the contest as an "amateur-only" one, and in general because even if a MF "wins" this is no big damage to the marketing effort.

But imagine a film image is going to win. How would that work as a marketing news? I imagine all the blogs and newspapers around the world: "last century technology beats modern cameras at Nikon contest".

Or imagine if an image - film or digital - wins and it is shot on let's say a Canon. The world would laugh.

Being Nikon, they cannot afford, from a sheer marketing point of view, to allow the contest to backfire.

You'll say: "it's the image, not the camera". Naahhhh The purpose of these contests is to imply, to hint, to suggest that "it's the camera". They cannot spend all the marketing effort and come out with a winner on film (or on a competitor's camera). That would be negating all their present marketing effort toward their digital line and toward their products.

The fact that it is all a marketing effort is well demonstrated by the 3rd and 4th cathegories, which are not even "photographic" in nature.

It's not very smart in any case. Smarter would have been allowing film, and not letting film win any category
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post

Except if they weren't so much of the corporate mindset they'd grasp that digital is so popular now that a film image winning is no threat to their business.

What really gets me is, they allow images from formats in which they have never even made cameras (lenses, but not cameras) so the contest is ostensibly open to all, but it must be digital when the cost of those formats in digital is prohibitive to most people. If they are going to allow large format, they should allow all using that format, not a select well-heeled few.

They don't want to be shown up by film, but they will be hurt far more if the winning image comes from a Canon.
    I'm certain that it's not the photography types at Nikon who are doing this- it's the soulless corporate suits who claim that their business is "business", and see no reason to truly understand or even respect the business for which they work. I've seen a lot of them in my time, and there are more now than ever.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon Photo contest held since 1969 will not accept film images anymore

Considering that one of the categories is limited to a function from their Nikon 1 series, it appears that this "contest" has become nothing more than a marketing tool.

I doubt any bias specifically against film, ever crossed their collective minds. It is simply set up to showcase current Nikon efforts. Do you really expect any Canon, Sony, or other winers in a Nikon sponsored contest?

Even discontinued Nikon offerings winning would be a big surprise for me. Do you really want to tell the world your current cameras do not measure up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin