Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,735   Online: 1246

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got to say that if I won and all the equipment was given to me, I'd probably end up giving it away to others who want to learn.

A while after my son was born and I had two kids to run around after instead of one, I embraced digital. During the earliest part of their lives, it was just too hard to keep developing film and I couldn't afford to send all the film I was running out to a lab. I got a Digital Rebel and went about relearning how to use photo editing software.

I realized something about six months in, though: I hate it. I actually HATE digital photography. The pictures I have of my kids are awesome and I don't really regret my choice, but I found negatives of my daughter recently from when she was a baby and there's just something completely DIFFERENT about them. I realized about two weeks ago that what I really wanted wasn't a 5DII/III, which is the way I was heading within a year and a half or so, but a damn Chamonix. I don't just like the images better with film, but I like the *process* better. I do enough on the computer already. Photography doesn't *always* have to be one of those things.

Nikon is really screwing up with this. People like me, who *do* use both film and digital, will likely not be supporting their brand in principle. They're going to miss out on *amazing* images. While it isn't the better business decision in the short term, I think that Nikon should look past the desire to sell as many digital devices as possible and actually come out as supporters of *all* forms of photography. Yeah, it's a pipe dream in these times, but have they looked at what's coming from film and alternative process users lately? It's obviously making a resurgence in a big way.

While it doesn't surprise me, it does piss me off and, to be honest, it's quite disappointing.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The submit button isn't there yet, expect Dec 1 2012. I noticed they ask for perpetual non-exclusive rights. And the prizes are all Nikon equipment. Maybe they figure we don't want any of it.
    Ah, another case of rights-grabbing
    I thought Nikon would have known better. That is, I think, a bigger shame.

Promoting your cameras through a context is fine. Didn't Pentax use to make a context reserved to their 4.5x6 cameras? Rights-grabbing is much worse. Most photographers don't read the fine print, they should. They typically send to this kind of photo contests the best shots of their life, which are the ones which could easily have a value that they don't even suspect. The ordinary photographer doesn't realize the value of a good picture (a well composed picture in good light conditions, nothing extraordinary, just stuff well done).

The value Nikon is going to grab from this contest is likely superior to the cameras they give as award. EDIT: I don't know, they seem to give away rich prizes.

Out of suspicion I was looking yesterday for the fine print but could not find it (very late at night ). EDIT: I still cannot find it.

Normally rights-grabbing contests are held by publishers of books or newspapers. It is sad that Nikon married this unfair practice.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 10-28-2012 at 04:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Canon did it too, recently. They had some contest that was a bald-faced rights grab, on an offensive level (it may have been an EXCLUSIVE perpetual rights grant by submitting!). I emailed someone at the contest in protest of the rights grab, and never heard back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    we should all submit as many digisnaps from a nikon coolpix we can upload to muck up the servers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    The problem is that you simply can not tell if an image was made with Nikon gear using film. That's all.
    Well a scanned image will have zero metadata and this is what they'll be looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    we should send them a photograph of a nikon dslr,beaten to shreds with a hammer and photographed with a canon film camera
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    Well a scanned image will have zero metadata and this is what they'll be looking for.
    Well... not zero.
    My Microtek 120T tags the files with colorspace and some other stuff it just doesn't have aperture/shutterspeed and camera related data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah but zero was so much easier to type

the camera related tags are key. without those, kinda pooched.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    we should send them a photograph of a nikon dslr,beaten to shreds with a hammer and photographed with a canon film camera
    Good one, Ralph ;-)
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    An EXIF editor can fix that .
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin