Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,483   Online: 743

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    we should send them a photograph of a nikon dslr,beaten to shreds with a hammer and photographed with a canon film camera
    I got it…
    a d100 pummeled with an F Photomic.
    Anfd take the shot with the photomic

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't enter contests like these, but it's still disappointing. Add Nikon to the list of companies I used to admire...

It's like holding a writing contest, and insisting that all submissions be done on a word processor. No manual typewriters allowed, even though you could certainly use an OCR to scan the typed pages into a digitally-readable file format, or even just scan the pages to a PDF file.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I realize it's Nikon and all but I have to ask in all honesty...why is everyone in a lather over this rule ? How will it affect our day to day ? It's just a contest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    I realize it's Nikon and all but I have to ask in all honesty...why is everyone in a lather over this rule ? How will it affect our day to day ? It's just a contest.
    Because it is making a statement against film through either marketing, technical ( lack of EXIF ) or philosophical reasons that set the wrong tone, in short, it is bullshit...

I have no interest in entering the contest but I am a self appointed watchdog for film advocacy and I simply want to know why they have done this, it makes no sense.

But in terms of EXIF, problem solved easily, just scan your slide or neg with a DSLR and macro lens...;-)
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    But in terms of EXIF, problem solved easily, just scan your slide or neg with a DSLR and macro lens...;-)
    I suspect the contest entry form that is submitted with your photos will ask you to certify that you have complied with the contest rules. To me, it would be a matter of personal integrity not to lie by trying to pass off images that weren't taken with digital cameras.

It's Nikon's contest so Nikon's rules apply. If you don't like the rules write Nikon and tell them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    ehhh, it's a slow day and the Skins got murdered again!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post

It's Nikon's contest so Nikon's rules apply. If you don't like the rules write Nikon and tell them.
    Done.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The handwriting has been on the wall for a while. A couple of years ago they banned MF and LF film. This year's rule takes the next step and bans 35mm.

Why is anyone surprised?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    we should send them a photograph of a nikon dslr,beaten to shreds with a hammer and photographed with a canon film camera
    good idea Ralph but I can't afford to get a Nikon DSLR and beat it to shreds with a hammer. Perhaps you can Ralph!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I've got to say that if I won and all the equipment was given to me, I'd probably end up giving it away to others who want to learn.

A while after my son was born and I had two kids to run around after instead of one, I embraced digital. During the earliest part of their lives, it was just too hard to keep developing film and I couldn't afford to send all the film I was running out to a lab. I got a Digital Rebel and went about relearning how to use photo editing software.

I realized something about six months in, though: I hate it. I actually HATE digital photography. The pictures I have of my kids are awesome and I don't really regret my choice, but I found negatives of my daughter recently from when she was a baby and there's just something completely DIFFERENT about them. I realized about two weeks ago that what I really wanted wasn't a 5DII/III, which is the way I was heading within a year and a half or so, but a damn Chamonix. I don't just like the images better with film, but I like the *process* better. I do enough on the computer already. Photography doesn't *always* have to be one of those things.

Nikon is really screwing up with this. People like me, who *do* use both film and digital, will likely not be supporting their brand in principle. They're going to miss out on *amazing* images. While it isn't the better business decision in the short term, I think that Nikon should look past the desire to sell as many digital devices as possible and actually come out as supporters of *all* forms of photography. Yeah, it's a pipe dream in these times, but have they looked at what's coming from film and alternative process users lately? It's obviously making a resurgence in a big way.

While it doesn't surprise me, it does piss me off and, to be honest, it's quite disappointing.
    I wish you win and please give the digital equipment to me when you win. I own a lot of film equipment including darkroom stuff but no digital so I definitely want to have some to explore the new aspects.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin